Degu with lump (possible tumour) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Degu with lump (possible tumour)

Dear All,

I have just had a horrible experience with my degu, Ben, that only now can i feel i can share with you, because its over. I am writing because i found little written about this problem in degus and hope this will maybe help someone in the future.

On tuesday morning i found a large lump on my degu Bens belly. It was about 1cm thick and almost 2cm across. How did i miss that? I have been kicking myself for the past three days for not noticing sooner, and feel absolutely awful about it. As some of you may know, i have had problems with two of the others recently and so Ben may not have had as much attention as he should have. However, I should have noticed something that big. Looking back, i remember thinking his fur looked ruffled and stuck out, but didn't see an obvious lump. It grew incredibly quickly.

Worried, I made an appointment with my vet. Lumps are generally bad news so i've been expecting the worst the whole time. i was advised to have it removed as soon as possible. The lump was very hard, but appeared to partly attached to his actual body, under his fur. Because of the hardness of the lump and the rapid growth, the vet believed it would be a 'bad' lump.

Today he had surgery on this lump. At time of writing, he is awake with the lump having been removed, although i have been told that due to the size of the lump, part of his stomach muscles had to be removed too, and he is likely to be unwell and weak for a while. The vet says she thinks it was an abdominal sarcoma, which i believe to be (after a brief internet search) a malignant tumour. This is only suspected, and it is still unknown as to whether it will return.

I'm still waiting to hear any final information from my boyfriend who has been a wonderful ambulance these past few days. I will let you all know if i get any more news or information about what this was.

I was very lucky. Fortunately this has a happy ending (at the minute). The surgery went well, something i've been worried about having to put any of my degus through. Fortunately, Ben is a very healthy degu (although about 4 years old) and coped with the anaesthetic.

I hope you will all learn from this as i have. please check your degus if you suspect anything wrong. don't let it get as bad a i did. i was lucky. i was spending too much time making sure the others were better. i could have lost him. I also hope that this will noted as a positive story for degus having to potentially have surgery. Sometimes, it is the best option, and it does work.

I have had so much heartache in the past few days. I don't want any of you to go through this. Now go and tell your degus how much you love them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's great that he made it!!!!! I've never had any health problems with my degus so far.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy

Aaaawwwww i'm so sorry you have had to go through that with Ben so soon after your problems with Jerry I have never heard of that condition in degus but i do know small rodents are prone to tumours due to inbreeding and other things weakening their systems so probably not surprising. You really shouldn't beat yourself up about it as lumps can appear over night and are not always easy to notice or feel and in an animal so small it would have grown pretty quickly without you noticing it if you don't handle him on a daily basis, i'd probably be the same as mine often don't want to be handled they prefer running around me and all over me but i do try to give them a check over once a month if i can. So far i have had no problems with my current degus

Please keep us informed of how the little fellow is doing and give him a big tickle behind the ear from me, hope he's feeling better very soon

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 06:43 PM

Red face

I am so sorry you had to go through this too!
I lost one of my degus in December of last year, she had a problem which made her unable to go to toilet properly, and the vets found her bowels full up and the contents poisoned her..
Hopefully Ben should make a full recovery, keep us informed and give him a big hug from my 5!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I am sorry you had to go thru that with him.I hope all is well with him and he has a speedy recovery.
Thank you for sharing the info.:hugs: to you and Ben and the other degus.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 AM

We're going to the vet today for the boys' first checkup...

Best wishes to you and Ben (and the rest of your crew)!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi all!!!

Thanks for your support!!!

Benny seems ok!! he was very sleepy on friday, and a bit more active on sat. he seemed fine on sun as he was biting me (punishment i think) and trying to escape. he's eating but not drinking much though. he was shivering a lot yesterday (no one to snuggle to, less fur, less muscle) so i gave him a hot water bottle and he loves it! he spent all day sprawled out on it (i had to keep refilling it). i came downstairs this morning to find he had moved his whole bed on top of it!! he has a check up with the vets tonight.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww glad to hear Ben is doing ok I once gave one of my degus, Nipper a hot water bottle on advice from the vet when he wasn't very well and he lived on it, it was hard to part him from it when he was better and he sulked for a few days, after that everytime he saw the box i used to put it in for him he used to dance around all excited

Hope you and Ben go on ok tonight at the vets and keep us posted

Kirsty

Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i think he'll want to keep it!! i may have to invest in some for them to keep!! he is besotted with this hot water bottle!! he's already learnt what it looks like and i only started giving it to him yesterday!! he also has access to a rechargable pocket hand warmer!!

Did you have to ween Nipper off it?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
yeah, i think he'll want to keep it!! i may have to invest in some for them to keep!! he is besotted with this hot water bottle!! he's already learnt what it looks like and i only started giving it to him yesterday!! he also has access to a rechargable pocket hand warmer!!

Did you have to ween Nipper off it?
lol......well i just took it out oneday as decided enough was enough as he was better and i'd let him have it for a few weeks longer than he needed it just to make sure he was ok and he was doing nothing but protecting the hot water bottle wouldn't let his brother Jerry anywhere near it so i had to take it out, he only used to leave it once it had gone cold, he even took his cardboard box up and put it on it and sat in it oneday ripping it up. I have to say he sulked for over a week when i took it out and over a month later he recognised the small box i had kept it in and danced around all excited when he saw me with it so i'm sure he remembered

Kirsty

Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am glad he is doing better!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 AM

It's good to hear hes doing well despite the surgery. One of my girls has a fatty tumor. The vet said it wasn't hurting her and its not cancerous so he didn't want to put her through the trama of surgery unless it was absolutely necessary. It looks weird, but it doesn't hurt her. Maybe the tumor wasn't cancer. Hoping for the best!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Red face

I am glad that Ben is getting better!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

hey all,

Ben was given a clean bill of health on friday and is back in his normal cage with his friends!!!

all we have to hope now is that it doesn't come back!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwww thats great news

Kirsty

Tags
cardboard box