Degu Noises - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Degu Noises

Hi there

My degu has recently started making really aggressive sounding noises and I've finally recorded him doing it. Since I got him he's hated to be touched and will screech at me (and everyone/everything else, he can't even live with other degus because he hates when they touch him) as a warning if I get too close, but this noise he's been doing is new and is constant when he is in his cage. I was just wondering if these are actually done aggressively and why he is making the noises. And no, I do not do anything to make him aggressive, we actually get along really well, but as soon as he's in his cage, this behaviour starts.

I can't add a link to the video I took, but please pm me for it if you think you can answer this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What is the noise like? Feel free to send the video to me by PM.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hi, I got your PM. Those noises are stress noises, he's scared/stressed by something. How big is his cage? What toys does he have? Does he live alone?

When does he tend to make that noise?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I have heard the said noise before. My cousin Stuart who was Reznik on here years back. Had a couple of Degu's. They tended to make that noise if they were annoyed.

But if you were gentle you could tickle one of them through the bars until they lifted a leg up and you could rub them under the arm pit. You need to watch their teeth tho.

They just seem to be one of those animals that doesn't have a lot of patience.

Maybe there are other things you can do to hep aid stress. I can't really help myself as I have never kept Degu's myself.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.

Tags
aggressive, degu, grinding teeth, noises