Degu Presents!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Talking Degu Presents!!

What are you getting your Degus for x-mas!?

I have 5 Degus and I'm looking for presents for them! One present they're getting is a digging pit, but they'll all have to share it, so I need individual presents. I was thinking of a nut in a shell for each of them, what kinds can I get them? I'm so excited for x-mas this year with 9 pets to buy for! Good Luck shopping!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chilla, our female

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Twin boys, Cadbury and Punkin
Casper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Walnuts are a favourite...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Playful Pup

I have stockings for my Degus!

Haha, is that dumb?

I love where I work. I also get my pets TONS of stuff. I have been thinking of Degu presents also. It's hard, because their is so uch stuff they can't have. I am giong to buy a huge pack of wood chews though. And put a few in each stocking. That's one idea so far. Last year I bought each Degu a small plastic slinky. They chewed each ring off. And still have like 30 plastic rings that they rearrange around their cage!

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'll probably buy a stocking for each of my pets.
I was thinking of a slinky, a metal one though so they dont eat too much plastic. I was going to hang it from the top of their cage so they could play with it, mine love bouncy things.

Are there any smaller nuts in a shell I could give them? do you think I could give each of them a whole unsalted peanut in a shell (not broken in half) or is that too much? If I give them nuts I'll separate them to give them their treats. Last time I gave them walnuts Squirt ate hers and then stole Nibbles', but I got it before she ate it . That was about 3 months ago, I wouldn't want to give 2 walnuts in a year, isn't it forbidden?

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Funny how you posted this, I just got back from the petstore a few hours ago...and I was getting Christmas presents for the pets !

My degus have stockings and so far I got them a Nut Knot Nibbler and this mineral bowl thing...it looks like a cereal bowl and spoon...but they're mineral chews . Also, it has treats in the bowl and I checked the ingredients and they're perfectly degu safe .

I also got them some smaller wooden chews and I want to get them a wooden bird latter to climb on but I haven't found one yet...strange, huh? They all have beads or rope and I think the degus might destroy them .

Kandy, I think an unsalted peanut would be fine . I'm probably going to give mine each one...except for baby Rosie whom will get a small piece .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Playful Pup

Yeah plastic or metal slinky depend son the Degus. Mine are chewers, but they just chewed up apart, never ate em.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Mine also have stockings and will all get a nut each, either a walnut, hazlenut or a brazil in the shell. The baby boys are getting a sandbath house like my older boys have and the older boys are getting some nice fleecy warm hanging beds that they will probably destroy in 10 seconds flat but at least they will have had fun

As for the nuts, its generally judged safe for them to have a whole shelled nut once a month, i normally vary what i give my boys from walnuts to hazlenuts (mainly as they are smaller). Peanuts can be given more frequently but i limit those also to once a fortnight to once a month

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Maybe I'll try Hazlenuts for christmas since they've never had them before .

Amethystbelle - I've been eyeing those hanging beds too! They look so comfy, but I know for sure my degus will eat it, they'll eat anything!

Sasami - Wow, I hope you can wait until x-mas to give them all that! I wouldn't be able to wait, that's why I'm waiting to go shopping!

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
Maybe I'll try Hazlenuts for christmas since they've never had them before .

Amethystbelle - I've been eyeing those hanging beds too! They look so comfy, but I know for sure my degus will eat it, they'll eat anything!

Sasami - Wow, I hope you can wait until x-mas to give them all that! I wouldn't be able to wait, that's why I'm waiting to go shopping!
Yeah, it's very hard for me to wait . I may end up giving one of the toys to them for Thanksgiving .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Playful Pup

Where do you get your nuts at? Store?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:29 AM
Playful Pup

Where do you find whole nuts? I have looked within my usual shopping stores but until Christmas draws near they only sell shelled-in-bags.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Playful Pup

Brazil nuts, are not these the dark brown and elongated nuts that (if ever pryed open) taste like coconut? ...these are good for degus?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
I'm hoping my boys won't try to eat them either as Basils stripped his hammock of the nice furry lining I'm more worried of my babies chewing up their sand house to be honest as that was quite expensive and i don't want it lasting just 5 minutes

As for the nuts, I get mine from my local supermarket and they have them all year round but i'm in the UK so not sure how things stand where you are!?

Brazil nuts don't taste like coconut as far as i know. They are small and dark brown and are elongated in length. But yes Degu's can have Brazil nuts as a rare treat as with any nut

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I get nuts at the supermarket, you can get them in bulk.

Also, the other day, I was at a petstore and they had nuts in the bird section.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

You can also find nuts in a bulk store that sells candy and such. Thats where I get the treats for the chinchillas too. At a store like that you can just buy 2 or 3 nuts instead of a whole bag.

~*~ Kandy's Chinnies ~*~

Chilla, our female

Casper.

Tags
dark brown