Degu suitable pellets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile Degu suitable pellets?

Hi, so, yesterday, I bought these guinea pig pellets for my goos:

--Genesis pellets for guinea pig--

Crude Protein 15.0% Crude Fat 2.5 % Crude Fibres 18.0% Moisture 10.0% Crude Ash 6.39% Calcium 0.80% Phosphorous 0.50% Potassium 1.19% Sodium 0.20% Magnesium 0.36% Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.04% Omega 6 Fatty Acids 1.04%

I was just wondering, that does that sound suitable?
I visited different pet shop yesterday, and they had only this guinea pig pellets, and they said that degu´s can eat these too.
They are roundish in shape, and smaller than chin pellets.
(The shape made me ask this in the first place, because the guinea pig pellets I usually feed to my goos, are longer )

I also feed them good-quality hay and chinchilla pellets.
There are many brands of chin pellets available, but I have used the same brand over the years, the pellets with less fat and such.

My goos are 4 years and 3 months old at the moment, and are doing very well. ^-^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'll need the ingredients list to help .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Here is what it says on the page:

"Genesis Extruded Guinea Pig Food is a complete
food fortified based on fresh vegetative ingredients, fortified with essential amino acids, fatty acids, vitamin C and other essential vitamins and minerals all in a convenient effective extruded croquette.
Guinea pigs are simple-stomached herbivores with nutritional considerations much like that of the rabbit and rat. They require adequate levels of vegetative matter in their diet to promote cecal fermentation and rely upon coprophragy to support some essential vitamins and amino acids. They are also unique in their requirement for elevated vitamin C levels.
The Genesis Extruded Guinea Pig Food is produced with special attention to supporting the nutritional requirements of the guinea pig throughout all life stages. As noted above, this diet possesses sufficient vegetative fiber sources, probiotics, and prebiotics to promote good cecal fermentation, and adequate vitamin C to meet the unique needs of the guinea pig. The extrusion process assures that the grains and proteins used in the formulation are properly cooked for complete digestion, and that heat labile anti-nutritional factors such as the trypsin inhibitor are neutralized. This method of food delivery also assures that the guinea pig has adequate hard-fibrous food to support healthy tooth wear, and to encapsulate all the essential nutrients in every morsel."

And the main ingredient in those is timothy hay.
They are low in fat (2,5%)

And I even found a picture (although this is genesis for rabbits in the picture, but my new genesis pellets look the same)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7124801387_82c1b6fc0d_z.jpg (29.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm, the issue is that some pellet brands use molasses. I'm guessing in Finland they don't have to say, though? Is there a number on the package you can call? You want to make sure there's NO sugar or corn. Look out for terms like cane juice, cane sugar, molasses, brown sugar, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Newborn Pup

The brand of pellets I use for my degu is "exotic nutrition, degu compelete"(exotic nutrition.com). If your current pellets don't do the job, try using this one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for the replies

I checked, and the pellets I use, are free of molasses
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Newborn Pup

Guineapigs and rabbits have digestive systems that are way different from rats. You should stay away from pellets that have too many carbohydrates from things like grain, sugar, and molasses. Sherwood Forest rabbit food makes a grain-free and soy-free rabbit food that is great.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sherwood View Post
Guineapigs and rabbits have digestive systems that are way different from rats. You should stay away from pellets that have too many carbohydrates from things like grain, sugar, and molasses. Sherwood Forest rabbit food makes a grain-free and soy-free rabbit food that is great.
Hi, this topic is about degus, did you mean to post this somewhere else? I can move it if you did but otherwise I'm going to delete it because rabbit food can actually be dangerous for degus.

~Stephanie

Tags
degu