Degu with tumour (from previous) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Degu with tumour (from previous)

hello all!

Bad news i'm afraid. Bens has another lump growing in the same place as before. i will always hope that it is nothing bad, but he has lost weight and is very letharic at the minute. he is still eating and is active at times, but generally looks quite sickly. my boyfriend and i agree we believe it is the tumour returning.

I am taking him to the vet on saturday. I hope they will try operating again, but my boyfriend reckons that they won't because they've already tried it. If they do, it is also more likely he won't survive the op because he is weak at the minute.

If they don't, the options will be to do nothing (and he will suffer) or put him to sleep. Neither are my favourite options.

I'm still hoping, but i think i secretly know that this time, it won't have a happy ending.

wish us luck. i'll let you know what happens on tuesday.

Sam,
(+Ben+Jerry+Rum+Raisin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Omg i'm so sorry to hear your news, just when he seemed to be getting better i'm so sorry I will keep my fingers crossed for you and keep Ben in my thoughts and my degus send him lots of get well vibes and the best of luck

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Unhappy

OMG! I hope he is ok? You must do what is best for him, even if it is going to be upsetting.. I had my little Charlie go through an operation in December, she died on the recovery table.. She was very weak and only had a 50/50 chance of survival, I took the risk because I thought she deserved the chance..
Sending him and you, big degu hugs from my 5 xxx Keep us informed and take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm so sorry . I know how hard this must be . Both me and my degus send our best thoughts and lots of hugs.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

The vet was willing to operate again on benny, but he died yesterday morning at home in my arms.

I miss him so much.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwwww i'm so so sorry I know exactly how you are feeling right now as my first degu Nipper died in my arms and it broke my heart completely as he was one of the first degu's i owned. I know its little comfort at this moment in time but you have to remember you gave Ben the best chance in life and gave him a good home and he had the best of everything and at the end at least in was where he would have wanted to be in your arms at home surrounded by the love of his family

Rip Ben!

Kirsty

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:55 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.. I am sure you did your best for him.. Take care xx
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I feel so guilty about him suffering though. he shouldn't have had to go through that. towards the end, it wasn't ben i was holding, he wasn't aware of anything around him. he was so scared.

it hurts so much when i think of him lying there gasping for breath as his body tried to keep him here. it was horrible.

he is the first i've lost. i've only had him for 7 months so he wasn't completely comfortable with me either.

just thinking of him makes me cry. i really do miss him.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

It is never easy losing a beloved pet.My heart goes out to you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
Thank you. I feel so guilty about him suffering though. he shouldn't have had to go through that. towards the end, it wasn't ben i was holding, he wasn't aware of anything around him. he was so scared.

it hurts so much when i think of him lying there gasping for breath as his body tried to keep him here. it was horrible.

he is the first i've lost. i've only had him for 7 months so he wasn't completely comfortable with me either.

just thinking of him makes me cry. i really do miss him.
Sadly my first degu went that way too i took him to the vets and they gave him an injection said if he was no better by morning to go back but he passed away in my arms 5 hours later, it wasn't him at all it was just an empty shell he was breathing but he wasn't there and it broke my heart so i know exactly how your feeling but it does get better and when i think of Nipper now i smile as he was such a little character! Whenever you feel sad remember you gave Ben a great life and although you had him a short period you gave him the best life he could have hoped for with all the love and affection he deserved and remember all the good times you shared and those funny moments that we all have with our pets

Kirsty

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Red face

I lost one of my degus in December.. I was there when she was born along with her 2 sisters and brother she was just 10 months old.. I still miss Charlie, and her ashes are in the same room as the degu cage.. Everyday I say hello to her, Its my way of coping I suppose?
Take care, Benny will be in degu heaven with Nipper and Charlie..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I'm just really struggling to accept he's gone. i miss him loads and keep trying to remeber the good times with him, but keep seeing him dying in my arms. my boyfriend is not being too good about it either. he just sees them as pets while i see them as individuals with personalities.

I'll be putting some pics of benny on here soon, so you can see the gorgeous little fella i lost.

thanks for your support.

x
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Omg that's heart breaking. I don't even want to think of the day when my girl rats will pass away(one has mycro). Hold in there okay? I will pray for your recovery.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
I'm just really struggling to accept he's gone. i miss him loads and keep trying to remeber the good times with him, but keep seeing him dying in my arms. my boyfriend is not being too good about it either. he just sees them as pets while i see them as individuals with personalities.

I'll be putting some pics of benny on here soon, so you can see the gorgeous little fella i lost.

thanks for your support.

x
I know how you feel my boyfriend ain't a clue what they mean to me either as they are my babies no matter what as they are all different and have different personalities and personas. It does get better though and whenever you feel down or have those bad thoughts remember all the good times you and Ben shared or go and sit with your remaining boys and let them remind you that Ben would want life to go on and that whenever you think about him to remember him fondly and smile

I can't wait to see the pics of the special little boy so please post them

Kirsty

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 PM

I cant wait to see his pics aswell.. Take care xx