degu wee dry white? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question degu pee dry white?

i got my degus 3 days ago and the pee is drying white?i read on another post this could be calcium deposit? if so I've fed them some fresh vegetables, millet(which i stopped feeding them yesterday as i heard it was bad) some PaH yoghurt drops and PaH degu nuggets how can i stop calcium deposit they are going to the vets in 2 days from other reasons and a checkup so do you think i should tell the vet?they are 9 weeks by the way

edit: i also noticed one of my degus, tony, has a pink underfoot i dont know about the rest of his feet because i cant holod them yet so i just look at them when they climb the cage

Last edited by Degumad88; 08-22-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

So, now I see your posts. (The other one got a response first probably because when I check for new posts, the latest one posted is listed first.)

You are right that it might be calcium deposit.

I don't think the yoghurt drops are good for degus. Do they contain sugar? If so, stop feeding them to your degus immediately; degus can't process sugars and they can become diabetic if fed sugar. The yoghurt drops could be causing the calcium deposits.

Millet isn't bad for degus – just don't give it to them everyday because it is fattening and a fat degu can also become diabetic. I give each of mine a quarter of a millet spray each once a month as a treat.

Some vegetables like dandelion leaves can also cause the white urine.

As for the feet – pink is okay, reddish and inflamed isn't. Do your degus stand on wire mesh in their cage?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Discuss anything and everything that concerns you when you meet with the vet. That's what the vet is there for. That said, white pee is usually not something to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

it says the yoghurt drops are for deguscand i dont feed them that often. also they are 9 weeks now and are getting VERY hungry, how much should i feed a 9 week old. the daily ammount for an adult is 15-259 and i fed them 15 today which is 3 teaspoons.

etid, they only have mesh on the sides but they are small and usually climb the cage to get on the ledges so they use the mesh alot, i have a plastic wheel and wooden ledges

Last edited by Degumad88; 08-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

Feed the babies as much degu pellets/food and hay that they'll eat – and they'll eat alot. Two of my degus had litters last year (not planned) and I was constantly filling their food bowls and running back to the pet store for more. When they get to about 4 or 5 months old, they begin to eat less – back to the normal amounts specified for adults.

The plastic wheel will likely become a problem because degus love to chew plastic. Keep and eye on them; if they start chewing the plastic wheel, get them a metal one. Plastic ingested can be toxic. The wooden ledges are great. Mine chew on those too but that's good for their teeth. Mine love to climb the metal bars of their cages as well.

Last edited by 16degus; 08-25-2012 at 09:36 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

This does not belong here.

cherryadair's post has nothing to do with degus.