Degus and chewing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Degus and chewing

People say that degus are avid chewers and if given wood or plastic they will chew holes through it. But my degus, Beebo and Quinny, are jumpy, young and messy, and they have a lot of wood in their cage, seeing as it's made out of wood and metal. The wood on the bottom is very thick, but their levels, made out of wood, are rather thin. They have not bitten any wood at all, and have only slightly nibbled on the plastic container that I kept their dust bath and hay in. Do you think it's more of personality or boredom than instinct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

It could be boredom, but every rodent has a different personality.Some like to chew more then others.Out of my 6 rats now, 2 of them chew alot and they get all kinds of attention.They even chew when they are out of their cage for free range time, they chew all of my stuff, not to mention everything in their cage...so in the case of your degus, it is probably just a personality thing.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Some chew some don't out of my 7 boys only my 4 youngest chew and its not through boredom as they have a cage full of toys and come out 3 times a week for an hour at a time for a run. They can be in the middle of doing something and have a little chew as they pass by its instinct. Every degu is different and like Vanilla Rat said its down to personality at the end of the day, like humans just because one chews it doesn't mean the rest will follow

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 10:49 AM

My four girls will chew anything and everything. We really have to watch them when they are out to play or for a run. They especially love to chew their cage (it's all metal) and the woodblocks and twigs we have provided for them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM

I know that with my chinchillas they will go through spells where they chew a lot and then they'll go for a while without chewing much at all. I always just kind of figure that they are going through a tooth growth spurt kind of thing and know that they need to chew then to keep the teeth normal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indychinchick
I know that with my chinchillas they will go through spells where they chew a lot and then they'll go for a while without chewing much at all. I always just kind of figure that they are going through a tooth growth spurt kind of thing and know that they need to chew then to keep the teeth normal.
Thats what i think, its when they don't chew you have to worry as thats when problems can occur with overgrown teeth as chewing hard stuff is what keeps them worn down

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM

Chewing is also good to occupy their squirrel minds as it distracts them from fighting over food, planning to escape, and kicking each other off the saucer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:30 PM

I thought mine didn't gnaw much, they didn't seem to be and I've had them for three weeks now. But they've not come out as much this last week as my two nephews have been over and have been in the conservatory where the degus usually come out to play.

The degus have still been out their cage but not as much, and they showed their annoyance by destroying their rope toy, shredding their straw mat and semi-trashing their tube! Fortunately they've left their shelf (plastic) intact!! They emptied their hay rack in one day this week too, another first since I got them. The things they are supposed to gnaw have been well chewed as well, which is a good thing!

So maybe your degus will gnaw more eventually.

Mine 'ping' the bars of their cage when they want to come out (they only do this when they hear my voice!) or when I've put them back in their cage and they don't want to go in it. So sometimes gnawing is a bid for attention/an expression of annoyance as well I think, but as said, it does depend on the character of the degu.

The main thing is to keep providing things for them to gnaw on for when they do develop a desire to chew!

Tags
dust bath, hay rack, vanilla rat