Degus...diffferences among the genders? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Degus...diffferences among the genders?

Are there any significant differences among female degus to that of males? Do male Degus have an odor like male rats do over their female counterparts? Is one gender more tidy in their home? Is one gender less likely to bite/or be more playful with it's human? Does one gender tend to live longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have 3 females and one male, and I cant say I have noticed that many differences, apart from the obvious..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Part of the Pack

i have a male and a female and i have to agree with steph it's all down to the individual degu tho i must admit truff (f) seems to nag and bully podge (m) quite a lot lol

A CUDDLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY AND DEGU KISSES ARE EVEN BETTER!!!

PODGE
CHARLIE

TRUFFLE
CHI CHI

MR BO JANGLES

DIDDY BOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

2 Female degu babies

I brought them home today! Their names are Myandi and (?). I might name the second one Chili or Precious because while I was choosing among the cuties, I picked this one out and said, "This one is so calm." Then, she bit me very hard! On the way home, the degu babies of only 6 weeks of life were squarbling (as I call it) to each other! I love their noises!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They really do make the most appealing noises! Good luck with your new ones... Pics soon aswell please!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Pix

...I don't want to reveal my non-technical side, but, here go's..."How do u take pix and post the for all to see?" I would love to take pix off all my critters (25 in all: 12 Mice 6 Rats 3 Degus 2 Bunnies
2 parakeets). I have a digital camera so,...how do I use it Before my babies grow up!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeguCrazy
...I don't want to reveal my non-technical side, but, here go's..."How do u take pix and post the for all to see?" I would love to take pix off all my critters (25 in all: 12 Mice 6 Rats 3 Degus 2 Bunnies
2 parakeets). I have a digital camera so,...how do I use it Before my babies grow up!
You download the pics onto your computer, you should have the leads to do so?
I then use a pix resixer programme, you dont necessarily need it, but it is handy.. I downloaded mine for free and its easy to use...
bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

I then use a photo imaging website to load the pics on, each pic gets a link, which you paste in your posts etc.. You can also resixe your pics on here, but sometimes its easier to use the pix resixer programme..

This is the one I use, again its free, but you do need to register..

http://photobucket.com

If you need some more help then just ask?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I never noticed differences in gender. And congrats on your new babies!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you Purplebunny

Thank you for the pix crash course! Now to make sense of what you said..haha. Like I said, I am not-technically inclined. Now I am afraid I hope to give it a whirl by next week..the way I work I do nothing but sleep and work for 4 days...then I am free for 4 days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A tip for taking the perfect close up degu photos (or any animal as a matter of fact) is if your camera has a macro feature use it as it brings out the details and colourations of their coats so much better

As for genders i personally don't think theres any difference its all down to the individual degu, neither smell or live longer then another

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeguCrazy
Thank you for the pix crash course! Now to make sense of what you said..haha. Like I said, I am not-technically inclined. Now I am afraid I hope to give it a whirl by next week..the way I work I do nothing but sleep and work for 4 days...then I am free for 4 days.
If you need some help, just PM me!

Tags
male rat, male rats