Degus/Gerbils? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Degus/Gerbils?

How much alike are degus to gerbils? I really love how cute degus are and have been looking at them as MAYBE a future pet/companion.However I hear mixed things on what they are like...if they are the same as gerbils (hyper,high strung and destructive) then I doubt I will get one.I loved my gerbil,but don't like the way gerbils are and so therefore I am not getting anymore gerbs.What are degus like?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:13 AM

I think Degus are alot like gerbils, IMO at least.
Both like to chew, though i find Degus like to chew harder things more, a peice of cardbord dosn't seem to be much fun for them.
Both like to explore and run about. Though I do find my Degus to want to be around me more during this time, as most gerbils could care less if u were around or not (though some do, just not many).

I'm not a big fan of the spraying urine thing to mark territory, though i find my males do it alot more then the females, this is a behaviour gerbils don't do. And well Degus are a bit more smelly then Gerbils, but less them a hamster.

All my gerbils climb into my hand for attention, all my degus climb into my hands and straight up my arms when they want attention. The degus let me pet them more then the gerbils would, and both love their wheels.

So though they have some qualities that are the same (like their super cuteness) they are still each different in other ways.

If you are interested I would say research some more and then see if u can find anyone who owns them so that you can meet their goos, and/or see if you can foster a pair. Fostering is a GREAT way to learn hands on with an animal who's in need and if things don't work out you don't have an obligation to adopt them.

I find my Degus to be very loving, and I can say i love to get up in the morning to go see them, they definetly seem to appreciate me (even give me kisses )
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think degus are fantastic pets but i am biast

The thing i love about degus is that everyone is different. Some are hyper, some are more timid, some are highly strung, some are more quieter and loving, some are on the go all the time whereas others are plain lazy. I used to keep gerbils and i can see some simularities such as both love to gnaw and dig but i find thats where the simularities end for me. Degus interact more with their owner and are much more dependent upon your love and care then a gerbil is. They are also much more vocal and life is never quiet with a degu around

Degus are destructive and need to be to keep their teeth in trim. In the last year alone just one set of my boys has gone through 3 wooden houses, 1 woven straw house plus half a new one, 2 wooden ladders, half a leap ledge, a thick apple branch and un numberable amounts of cardboard boxes

Like Andrea said if you are interested in them in the future as a pet do as much research as you can as they require different care from other rodents due to their diet. Meet other peoples degus, get some hands on experience as degus aren't for everybody and they are a big commitment as they can live for upto 10 years

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've already said my opinion on the other thread but I don't really feel they are like gerbils. They both are playful and love to chew but that's about it...dogs are playful and love to chew but I wouldn't compare them to degus...you know what I mean?

All degus are different but you will find that almost all of them like attention. Some want to cuddle, others will run over for a quick scratch behind the ear, and some just want to sit on your shoulder and hang out with you. All the degus I've met have liked human interaction and were affectionate (each in their own way). They are very outgoing and curious animals so it doesn't take them long to approach you unlike other rodents who are nervous and may bite out of fear. Degus rarely bite if handled correctly.

I've never had gerbils but the ones I've seen would usually rather play then hang out with you. Even if they tolerate being pet and handled they'd still rather explore 99% of the time. Degus like to play too but at the same time they want attention and will keep running back to you. And they are very intelligent so even if they want to play you could easily make up a game to play with them .

My degus seem to be able to pick up on my moods better then any other rodent I've had. If I'm sad or not feeling well they'll let me hold and cuddle them for hours. They really know how to make me feel better.

Plus, they are so fun to watch! They are very energetic animals...always up to something (except when they are sleeping in a big pile). I enjoy watching them run around together...the games they make up are so funny! I remember Rosie would take a wooden chew toy and throw it from the top level...then she'd run down and pick it up and start again. She also used to love carrying around a wooden hamburger. Hikaru thinks it's fun to grab random objects like my pen and take off with them and she's also a big digger and re-arranger...every morning the cage looks different! Ichigo isn't as playful but enjoys climbing and perching.

Definately do your research since they have very different diet needs then most rodents. Also it's better to get more then one degu since they are such social creatures.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks guys.I will do some more research,but doubt I will be getting one anytime soon.I am just being curious,as I took an interest in them not long ago.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM

When people ask me "What's a degu", my explanation is, they are related to Guinea pigs, look like a gerbil and a chinchilla crossed, make bird like noises and act like dogs LOL :p
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Lol, if I didn't know what they were and got that answer I'd think you were crazy!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
When people ask me "What's a degu", my explanation is, they are related to Guinea pigs, look like a gerbil and a chinchilla crossed, make bird like noises and act like dogs LOL :p
Haha, good explanation. I always say they look like squirrels with gerbil tails.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 AM

I don't think you'd find anyone here with a bad word to say about degus!!

they really do have such characters and are GREAT pets. the more you interact with them, the more they give you back!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I describe them as looking like a miniture chinchilla with a moomins tail (if anyone remembers that cartoon)

Kirsty

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 AM

i love the moomins!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
i love the moomins!
Woo hoo at last someone else who remembers the Moomins The first time i saw a degu i said they looked like a moomin

Kirsty

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM

I can say i have no idea what a 'moomin' is LOL
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The moomins was a cartoon when i was a child. They was based on the books of Tove Jansson and the moomins were cute little creatures (think they were trolls but didn't look like a typical troll if you ask me) and the series was about their adventures and love of nature. The picture i have posted isn't the best but you can see their tail and thats why they remind me of degus mainly

Kirsty

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 12:39 AM

LOL..... well it's cute whatever it's suposed to be.
I've never seen that before, so we probably didn't get that program here.

Tags
cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, guinea pig