Degus and the Heat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Degus and the Heat

We in Ontario are experiencing quite the heat wave. It is expected to be 35 C all week long, and that's not including the humidity, with that it's well over 40 C. No relief in sight until at least Sunday. We unfortunately don't have A/C in our house. The house temp is anywhere from 24-27 degrees currently, and it can only get higher I think because our evenings are not cool either. That being said, I'm worried about my 2 girls. I have a fan on circulating the air around the cage, but wanted to know - how to they lose heat? I've never seen them pant or sweat so I can only think its through paws or ears. Only once in a while do I see them stretch out and put their belly flat on the ground. Anything I can do to make them more comfortable? and how do they lose heat?

Look Into My Voice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have put a ceramic tile in my degus cage, because it tends to keep at a lower temperature and I thought it would be good for them to lay on.. So far all they do is eat their treats on it.. I hope you get some more ideas...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's can't sweat so you will see them laying around on their bellies a lot more trying to keep cool as thats their way of keeping the body temperature regulated. In the wild they would be underground in the heat of the day so in captivity anything that replicates that might be a good idea. Try a container of fresh organic compost mixed with chinchilla sand as that normally stays cool when fresh from the bag and they could burrow into that slightly and would cool them down or like Steph mentioned a ceramic tile or a terracotta plant pot are good ideas i have noticed mine laying on theres slightly more since its been warmer over here. Move the cage to a dark corner and keep it at lower level if you keep it off the ground normally as the airs normally cooler at ground level. Also make sure they have plenty of fresh cold water daily

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Where exactly in the wild do Degu's live, in deserts ?

If they are in Africa that would mean the WWII Desert rats were in fact Desert Degu's hence my Avatar and Siggy's.

Yes where do Degu's come from ?

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They come from the Andes Mountain range in Chile South America where they live in semi arid partially desert like areas where temperatures are high in summer and very cold in winter

Kirsty

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

He he so they are Chilean desert degus, well you learn something every day I did'nt know where Degu's come from.

Do they live mainly on high ground then, ? you get deserts in the mountains I dont suppose its impossible, its so dry up there I know.

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They live pretty high up to about 3500m above sea level although recent research has shown they aren't really adapted to living at such high altitudes which is quite interesting to say they are rock hoppers. The terrain is very rocky and much of it is scrubland which is subjected to droughts in the summertime, the land is filled with around 90% grasses and herbs and the other 10% is given to shrubs and trees. I wouldn't say its a desert but the conditions are desert like with the dry hot summers and cool winters!

I always find its good to learn a new fact everyday as it makes life more interesting

Kirsty

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 AM
Part of the Pack

going back to the heat question -

I tried mine with ice cubes last night (like they do for zoo animals and farm animals). They had a quick nibble, but weren't too bothered. jerry had more fun catapulting his across the cage by jumping on the bowl!!! Maybe if it was brocolli flavoured water........

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The dirt in a clay pot didn't go over so well for mine. The just shoved the compost out of the pot and didn't go in after that....Sigh, I have a bigger mess now They sit in their metal wheel though I guess cause that's cool enough for them. If I happen to find a spare ceramic tile though I'll pick it up to put in a corner for them.

Look Into My Voice
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRAWLD
The dirt in a clay pot didn't go over so well for mine. The just shoved the compost out of the pot and didn't go in after that....Sigh, I have a bigger mess now They sit in their metal wheel though I guess cause that's cool enough for them. If I happen to find a spare ceramic tile though I'll pick it up to put in a corner for them.
Whoops maybe i should have also mentioned it has to be high sided as i have had that problem too, Basil had his 2 minutes and it was completly empty and the rest was all over my parents carpet The higher sided the better as they can chuck dirt a long way i have found the same as sand i find that everywhere

The coolness of the wheel might be cooling them off as well, they will find their own ways to cool off its just a case of keeping an eye on them to make sure its not affecting them too much

Kirsty

Tags
farm animals