Degus making a big mess with shavings - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Degus making a big mess with shavings

I'm using aspen, and it is a great bedding for my degus, but it gets literally all over the place. There are shavings downstairs and we get them in our food when we eat. I think I have two options: Get them a tank, though I've spent hundreds of dollars on the cage they're in now, or get a new kind of bedding. Seeing as I've spent so much money, I think my first choice would be to get new bedding. Does anyone have any ideas on which kind I should buy? I'm getting low on my current supply of bedding anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:56 PM

Is there anyway you can add a tub to the bottom of the cage? The cage I'm using has a pretty large washtub looking thing on the bottom about 6" high, so I can put enough bedding in it without any being strewn out of the cage part above. Degus sure are messy with their bedding, but the tub keeps all the mess to a minimum outside the cage.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I use shavings and my boys get it everywhere when they dig. I keep the cages on large boards (where they are not on wooden floor) so they are easy to sweep clean. Any bedding will be thrown out by degu's some easier than others. Another option might be for you to put perspex boards around the lower parts of the outside of the cage to stop the mess coming out, a bit more costly than new bedding but cheaper than a whole new cage or a tank

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Oh boy, I think you can tell who owns degus by the amount of shavings in their hair and clothing, haha My boys toss it everywhere and it gets tracked all through the house and winds up in tons of crazy places. Jay is a little neurotic or something and sometimes decides he wants EVERY piece of wood shavings on the other side of the cage so he sits there and kicks it all over (most of it winding up on the floor). If I try to smooth it back out, he starts squealing. I just let him do it now.

I think it's pretty much inevitable to have a mess of shavings unless you get a tank. Amethystbelle has a good suggestion as an alternative to getting a tank. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I think I'll do that. Our house is mostly carpeted, and completely carpeted on the second and third floor. My degus are on the third floor, where I sleep, and it sticks in the carpet. I think getting the board would be a very good idea. Thank you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:12 PM

i used to have that problem... even with plexy glass on the outer side of the bottom of the cage they still managed to get it on the ground, but it helps alot. thank god with my new cage i dont have to worry about that anymore lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 AM

We put big 2x6's (i think that's the size) they are against the inside edge of the cage for that purpose. Now we only have a bit spilling out. Good for them to chew too

Tags
wood shavings