Degus in a new house.... settling! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Degus in a new house.... settling!

Hi all!

We've just moved house and wondered if anyone had ideas for helping degus to settle in. Jerry is coping fine (hes happy as long as he gets a belly rub), Raisin is a little skitish, but Rum is really nervous and jumpy at the minute.

On the plus side.... the new house is bigger, warmer (less need for snugglesafe heat pads) and lighter! so hopefully i'll have happier degus!! Especially when they get there new cage!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd just give them time personally as they just need to adjust to their new surroundings. I'd keep talking to them and giving them a little extra attention than normal so they are reassured everything is fine and safe as you are there, also treats might help a little I'm sure they will soon come round within a few days and settle down

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i've been popping and seeing them every half an hour - hour or so and sitting with them. R&R like snuggling up my jumper... thats their comfort thing, so i've been trying to let them do that... but theyre too nervous at the minute.

they got too many treats over christmas, so i'm trying to be a bit strict, but have also tried that!!

I just wondered if anyone else had problems after house moves. I've even tried to leave the cage a little dirtier this week hoping the scent will make them feel less threatened than the smell of a new house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How long is it since the move? I've never moved house with my boys yet but four of my boys have come quite a distance to be with me, my first two boys came from 120 miles away and Bertie and Herbie came from Manchester which is about 50/60 miles away so they had a fair amount of stress in arriving. I just allowed them time to get over the journey and settle in, so i kept the room quiet and let them get used to the nosies and smells of their new home. Basically your going to have to go back to basics with them like when you first got them as the move obviously has stressed them out a little and they will need time to adjust and settle down as they are in new surroundings with new noises and smells and they need to get used to that. You did the right thing by leaving the cage for this week as it gives them a comfort blanket so to speak that everything will be ok. I don't think you will have a problem its just going to take them a few days or so to settle into their new surroundings and once they know everything is safe and its going to be ok they will be fine and their usual selves. Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thats long journeys!!! That must have been very stressful! How long would you say it took them to settle?

My 2 miles down the roads looks pitiful in comparison!! We only moved on staurday. my biggest concern is the new proximity to a railway, which i'm sure must be very unnerving for them as the house has an ocasional vibration when the big trains go past!

Maybe I should give them the snugglesafes!! that usually cheers them up! I don't think it helped them being in the travel cases! They associate them with the vets now. I'm sure youre right, theyll settle soon. its just rummy thats still a bit jumpy, and he makes raisin jump when he panics! jerry just watches and sticks up his paw so i can tickle his belly!

They are in a quiet unused room at the minute whilst we are doing painting and work in the lounge, but i've picked out a prime spot right next to a big bright window, and suitable distance from a radiator to keep them warm. The last house was a very chilly cottage and i'm sure this was starting to affect them.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It took them about a week to a fortnight to settle in fully and get used to everything plus they also had to get used to me so it would naturally take longer. As you only moved on saturday its early days just give them a few days to settle down and get used to the noises and smells of your new house. I think Jerry see's you as his buddy and is bonded very much to you so as you seem ok and alright he knows its safe where as Rum and Raisin will be freaking each other out as if ones scared the other will wonder whats going on, once they know its safe they'll calm down

Kirsty

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I know i was probably being a bit panicky about them being settled! If they're still not settled in a few weeks i'll let you know.

and you're right - Jerrys turned into a right softie!

thank you!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Hope they are all settling in ok now?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

r&r are still quite jumpy! jerry has a bemused look!

I go into the room and sit with them... r&r jump to specific spots in the cage, then they all just stop what they're doing and sit perfectly still watching me! nobody moves!!!! we all just sit there prefectly still and silent for 5 minutes, before they start moving around again!

its unnerving!