Degus Playing Outside - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Degus Playing Outside

Last month on a nice day I finally remembered to bring my camera outside with me when i had Bruce & George my two male Degus out on the lawn to play. Here are a few pictures I took.

"This is the box we hide and play in while outside"

"mmmm fresh grass!"

Bruce

Grazing Degus

They really enjoying playing outside, fresh clover & dandylions are a favorite treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:36 PM

cute! i dont really know much about them
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cute!!! I really want to let mine play outside but I'm too paranoid. Ichigo is allowed outside on my shoulder but I don't let her go on the grass.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I carry them inside that box, and then place the box inside the cage top on the lawn, and then do the same but backwards to put them back inside. I'm always worried about them taking off or something, they are so quick! But I havn't had an incodent yet.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Aww, they're so cute!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I carry them inside that box, and then place the box inside the cage top on the lawn, and then do the same but backwards to put them back inside. I'm always worried about them taking off or something, they are so quick! But I havn't had an incodent yet.
Yeah, that's what I would probably do but I'm still nervous. They do love clovers and dandelions, though, so I bet they'd have fun. Maybe I'll give it a try before it gets too cold .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwww cute pictures

As long as your careful i don't think its bad taking your degus outside as foraging on the grass is what comes natural to them. The precautions i would take is to make sure the area of grass you use is clean (i.e has had no other animals using it as a toilet if possible and free from fallen leaves that cold be toxic) and that the cage/enclosure you put them in is secure so they cannot escape and that isn't in direct sunlight as degus cannot sweat and can easily over heat and that you watch them at all times. Apart from that they should have a great deal of fun

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...what cuties!!I took an interest in them not long ago,but dunno much about them and if they are anything like gerbils...then I am not interested in having one!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Awwww...what cuties!!I took an interest in them not long ago,but dunno much about them and if they are anything like gerbils...then I am not interested in having one!
They aren't really like gerbils at all, or at least not in my opinion. They remind more of hyper-active rats .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I think they are like gerbils, as they don't like to be handled much they are more into exploring. They are both big chewers, Degus more so. I love Gerbils and I love Degus, so it works out well
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I think they are like gerbils, as they don't like to be handled much they are more into exploring. They are both big chewers, Degus more so. I love Gerbils and I love Degus, so it works out well
I guess the gerbils I've met haven't been very social yet degus are very outgoing and friendly...so that's why they seem so different. Plus, I've never met a cuddly gerbil and although most of the time degus don't want to be snuggled they sometimes get in very cuddly moods . But then again, I've never had gerbils.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:15 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I only ever had one gerbil and she was hyper,high strung,destructive and didn't wanna be handled.I rather have something more cuddly...you know?

* Lisa *

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Ya gerbils are not cuddly pets by far. I've own many over the years (ATM 22) and i find only in their old age do they seem to be ok with being 'held' and cuddled a bit.
I wouldn't say Degus are cuddly though, i mean my Bruce is sorta, but he's the only one (out of 5), and i've never met one who was happy to be held.
I think pets under the 'cuddly' catigory would be rats, guinea pigs and cats, and maybe the ocassional bunny.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My definition of cuddly is wanting to hang out with you and be pet so even though degus don't like to be held I still consider them to be a bit cuddly . Mine will happily sit on my lap, in my hoodie, or on my shoulder while I watch tv and hang out with me while I'm on the computer. Hikaru sometimes wanders off but a treat gets her to come right back if I can't get her . They weren't like this when they were young, though...I've noticed degus calm down alot after their first year or two. Mine still are energetic and playful but now they like attention too. But yeah, degus generally don't like being held...but then again, rabbits don't either and yet they can be pretty snuggly . Well, some are anyways!

~Stephanie

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...I really like how degus look,so maybe even if they were not cuddly,it wouldn't matter...afterall,my mice are not cuddly! The only thing I am kinda iffy about is the fact they are super high strung,hyper and destructive (like gerbils)...I never liked that very much.

BTW...I am sorry I hijacked your thread!!!!!My bad...we can go back on topic now! I will make a new thread for this!

* Lisa *

Tags
guinea pig