Degus tail, bleeding :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Degus tail, bleeding :(

I was given two degus yesterday. In my opinion they aren't exactly healthy or balanced...apparently the one was purchased from a pet store where they didn't even know what it was!? and the other from a woman who claimed to "handle him all the time".

The one from the petstore (Chester) barely moves, and if he does it's from one corner to another, his tail was infected when purchased, doesn't know how to use a wheel or dust bath. The one from the woman (Rocky) is bonkers, it's like he's on speed, lol but I don't know if that's normal or not.

This morning chester was making "CHEEP" type sounds and Rocky would sit on him, I would go to the cage and he would stare at me then eventually stop, I don't know if that means I terrify him or what. Anyways, I went back to bed, I just woke up now, and Chester's already messed up tail looks to be chewed and bleeding, he's being even more quiet and strange and Rocky keeps sitting on him and grooming him

I did as much research as I could before I got them but I really don't know how to deal with this...I'm worried, Chester really doesn't seem healthy..

Maybe they're not a good match? Did he do it to himself??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If Chester's tail is infected (and now bleeding) I would call the vet.

As for how it happened, it sounds like they get along ok so he might have done it to himself. Does the cage have a wire floor or wire wheel?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It has wire levels, I meant to put something on it today, but I looked at every little hole and there's no blood, only on the sides where it was sitting... I'll call the vet but the person who gave them to me, told me she took him in and they said there was nothing they could do :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is the vet experienced with degus? Many aren't, some don't even know what they are. It often takes some searching to find a good vet for exotics.

He might have chewed it because it was bothering him.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
degu, injured, tail