Degus and their language - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Smile Degus and their language

Degus interact more than any animal I've ever had.
For instance, if Quinny is on the wheel or sleeping and Beebo is a awake and I come to the cage, Beebo will sharply squeak at Quinny to get him to come over and see me. They squeak madly and whine when they want to see me, be picked up, come out, or take what I'm eating, they gurgle and chirp at each other and once when I had the door open for Quinny and he seemed really excited to come out and I closed it, he let out a "Weuurrpp...". It was the lowest I've ever heard his voice go to. It sounded sort of like a guinea pig crossed with a cat.

What kind of noises do your degus make to you and each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's have a very wide range of vocabuary, more so then any other rodent i believe. It is still unknown as to how many different sounds they actually make but research has shown it may be well over 100 different sounds. Mine make a variety of sounds to each other and me. To me, Basil chirps away when i tickle him and Bertie and Herbie whistle me every single time they hear me and only stop once i have given them a fuss. The other boys communicate with me a little but as there is four of them they are mainly preoccupied with each other apart from at treat time.To each other they make awide variety of sounds, They squeak when they are annoyed, chirrup when they are happy, chatter away to one another, squawk when they are angry, and weep when they are scared or have been startled plus all the other noises in between. Its one of the things i love about them all the different sounds they make compared to all the other rodents i have had

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, people say rats are more affectionate, but I feel differently now that I have degus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM

I love listening to all the noises my degus make The sound I hear most often is the pleasant bird-like chirping when they're "talking" to each other. They don't usually respond with noises when they see me, they just run up to see me. They sure can get loud when they're having a squabble though - loud, angry squealing noises. One of my boys used to stand on top of his hide-y house and just give off these shrill squeaks one after the other for up to a half hour. He's stopped doing that now though. I've heard them make sad little weepy noises when they get hurt too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Beebo didn't even notice that his tail had gotten injured when it did. That was a really bad experience for us, but for him, it was nothing. He just ran off and found a piece of hay to eat... o-O
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I love their cute little noises . Especially the chirping.

When they're fighting over food they tend to squeal and hiss.

I remember when I first introduced Rosie she'd make a sqeaking noise when the other degus came near her. It was like 'please don't hurt me, I'm just a baby'.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
Yeah, people say rats are more affectionate, but I feel differently now that I have degus.
I kept rats for years and never thought any animal could beat them for love and affection but my degu's do hands down. While they aren't as cuddly as rats they show affection so much more in other ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppeh
Beebo didn't even notice that his tail had gotten injured when it did. That was a really bad experience for us, but for him, it was nothing. He just ran off and found a piece of hay to eat... o-O
Degu's have a very high pain tolerance that is probably why he acted like nothing had happened even though it was probably hurting him.

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:36 PM

I have a really cute story about noises! Last night I heard what I thought was a degu fight so I went to check on my boys (they're always having little squabbles) but when I got to the cage 2 of the boys were in the wheel and the other one was rearranging furniture (they always move their houses around!). The fighting noise was still happening which really confused me until I realised that the degu that was moving his house was making the fight noise! It was the cutest thing to see him mad at the house for not cooperating. He sounded really mad at it!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM

Haha, that's cute Yesterday, one of my degus took it upon himself to push every bit of shavings from one side of the cage to the other. If the other degu interrupted him in any way, he'd let out this crazy squeal and wouldn't let him come near his "project."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:47 AM

Carrie always makes that "fussy" chirpy-warble sound when we pick her up or play with her and to other squirrels that are inturrupting whatever she is doing...she also makes this sound when she is on the saucer and other squirrels jump on to run with her. She's the smallest squirrel in our colony, so maybe she does it to get attention from us.

Sometimes I'll be watching a movie or TV quietly and I'll hear a loud squeal from the cage and the girls will run around like they were scared. When I go to investigate what the problem is, they will look up at me all innocent-like and pretend nothing happened. It's really cute!

Tags
guinea pig