Deoderizing Spray - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Deoderizing Spray

I was wondering if anyone has come across a deodorizing spray that is safe to use with degus? We are using Carefresh Ultra and you can really smell their urine...maybe we will have to change back to aspen because it seemed to absorb it better.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have an all-natural one but honestly it doesn't do much. But my degus don't smell (I use aspen bedding). Maybe you should switch back?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Our four girls kick the chips away from the corners that they are urinating in causing it to smell. We do clean the cage once a week but it seems that after a few days the smell is back after we clean it. ...maybe we should switch back if you are experiencing a better smelling cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My boys don't smell at all and i only clean them out fully once a month (i do spot checks on a daily basis and give it a small weekly clean) due to the sizeof the cages. I use wood shavings and non of my boys have never smelt. I would suggest trying a different substrate and work on it from there

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM

i have a lemon scented one but it doesnt seem to do much, my boys used to use their wooden house as a toilet and it would absorb into it and it used to stink after a couple of days after cleaning, but then i put an extra sandbath in and now they use one as a toilet!! and now they have a new house they dont smell at all. maybe you could put some toys in each corner so they cant scrape the sawdust away and wee!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:55 AM

You know what I find works? This stuff called Ammo-Litter (by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc). Its a urine odor absorber. Basically looks like gravel, that is totally rodent friendly. This is what the box says:

Ammo Litter is a special zeolite Ammonia Absorbing Resin. It absorbs ammonia like a sponge and locks it up before it can escape into the air. Has no odor of it's own and no chemical additives. Is completely natural and non toxic. No need to worry even if animals eat it.

I tend to put this in the areas they pee in. Usually the corners and I swear it works. I also used this when trying to litter train them. They did eat some and they had no ill effects and usually stopped nibbling after their second pebble. Try to Google it to see if they sell it in your area? I also tend to smell urine more if I used Carefresh as opposed to Aspen, which tends to be the opposite for everyone else. Good luck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:16 AM

I use Ecopetbed (recycled shredded cardboard) and I have never, ever smelt the degus. As said, maybe try changing the litter, putting a thicker layer in?!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

We're having a lot of luck with the aspen chips and the deoderizing pellets. The combination of the two products seems to keep the smell of squirrel urine in the cage.

Thanks for all the help!

Tags
litter train, wood shavings