Do Degus dream????? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Do Degus dream?????

I often have times when my degus are all dozing and then its like they have a bad dream and wake up squeaking.... (you know thats high pitched alarm weeping)....

do you think its because they are having bad dreams?????

I was woken up at 3.45am this morning and had to go and try and calm them down... it was SOOOO loud and our neighbours have young children, so i couldn't just ignore it! I gave them both tickles and belly rubs as i didn't know which one it was - they calmed down when i started talking to them.

now my boyfriend thinks they think theyre going to get cuddles and tickles and treats if they start squeaking in the middle of the night!! It has happened a few times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am sure they do dream, other animals such as cats, dogs and rats do so why not degu's. Infact i have woken to simular noises occasionally and upon investigation there was just a degu sat there weeping to himself and one grumpy looking buddy My theory is its either a dream or something has startled them in their sleep (probably themselves moving) and caused a panic. I don't think they will associate weeping in the middle of the night with treats as if they are anything like my boys they will see any time of the day an ideal time if you are just passing by

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

TRUE!!

I wonder what they dream about!!?? sunflower seeds? raisins? big running wheels???

Raisin looked really cute and dopey at 3.45!! He was really happy to have a belly rub and is starting to let me do it any time i go over to the cage!! jerry used to be like that, but now he has his own wheel, i've been replaced (by a plastic wheel!)

I was not amused at 3.45am!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Knowing degu's i don't think they will dream about anything cute and sweet such as rainbows, chasing butterflies and dancing with the faeries......Its more likely to be about all those treats they like and how they can get more, fighting each other and being the winner, being the fastest in the wheel and what they can chew up and destroy next

Kirsty

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:37 AM

I know Beebo wouldn't dream of winning at anything...Or maybe he would, because he's always so submissive to Quinny. Poor little guy. But he acts like such a baby. When Quinny's annoying him, he squeaks for me with such a helpless look on his face.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 AM

I definitely think degus dream. Sometimes I'll watch my boys sleeping and one will start twitching a bit (like a dog when they dream) and making really low weeping noises. The other always gets annoyed because he's trying to sleep. They usually settle back down in no time.

I imagine their dreams like that squirrel on Ice Age. An endless chase to capture a nut or something
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
I definitely think degus dream. Sometimes I'll watch my boys sleeping and one will start twitching a bit (like a dog when they dream) and making really low weeping noises. The other always gets annoyed because he's trying to sleep. They usually settle back down in no time.

I imagine their dreams like that squirrel on Ice Age. An endless chase to capture a nut or something
You mean Scrat, aaaawwwww i love him as he reminds me of a degu so much

Kirsty

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

yeah! he's sooo degu like (apart from the tail)! they sell fluffy ones on woolworths, nut included!

I'm not allowed any more soft toys.... something about being too old

I can just imagine degus dreaming about a nut like scrat does!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
yeah! he's sooo degu like (apart from the tail)! they sell fluffy ones on woolworths, nut included!

I'm not allowed any more soft toys.... something about being too old

I can just imagine degus dreaming about a nut like scrat does!!!
I don't let that stop me, i have the worlds biggest collection of Eeyores and its still growing and i have to be kept away from the bear factory for my own good

I can imagine my boys dreaming about a nut and all chasing after it and squabbling over who is going to get to it first

Kirsty

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 AM

I do believe that degus do dream. Sometimes it sounds like they're singing each other to sleep...esculating chirps! Has anyone ever noticed that they move their front paws in a running motion like dogs do while sleeping?

PS. Eeyore is my fav too! Bear factory = Build-A-Bear?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

mine would have "the great escape" type dreams...... 101 ways to escape from your cage (with the mission impossible theme tune in the background)

have you seen the adverts withe the squirrel trying to get to the peanuts on the bird table via the assault course??? i can just imagine it with degus!

i think the alarm sound when dreaming probably comes from nightmares about losing a treat or something... how stressful can a degus life be???
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM

I can see them being pretty stressful if they have dreams about escaping outside the cage as it's not as a secure environment as inside the cage. I wonder if their dreams involve all of the colony or just themselves?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

i'd love to think that the dreams had me giving them treats in!! that would be so cool being in a degu dream! or dreams about tickling behind the ears!!!

i wonder if they dream about their lost friends... and thats why they wake up squeaking...because their cage buddy isn't there anymore and they miss them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 AM

Oh they dream.... One of mine, maybe both, would chirp like birds when they were sleeping...it was very bizarre, but that's how you knew they were fast asleep.

Tags
sunflower seeds