Do I put all off them in one cage???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Do I put all off them in one cage????

Hello I'm new here, but need some advice I have six degus which I have rescued I have two pairs and two singles would any body know would it be safe to put them all in one cage they are all not the same ages Oh! yes sorry one is a male I not to sure about breeding yet so I would like to keep him out at the moment all the rest are females would they fight at first and then settle down or not I'm not to sure I know in all the books it says that they live together but it never happen like that in real life so what want to know is would any body out there take a chance and put all the females in one cage ???? THANK's I do hope that some one out there can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, the females can all live together (and should, they're very social animals). You can't just throw them together, though, they need to be introduced slowly. I usually start by putting the cages right next to each other. I mix bedding between the cages and give them the same dust bath to use. You should do that for a week or two to get them used to each others scents. Then you can start doing short intro meetings in neutral territory (the bath tub works great for that). The meetings should be kept very, very short at first (like a minute) as you want to prevent a fight. Once they've fought, it'll be harder to introduce them. If the meetings are going well, you can extend the time they spend together. Putting a dust bath in the tub with them is useful since degu social groups in the wild share a dust bath.

Once you're confident that they're getting along, place them all into a freshly cleaned cage with the shared dust bath. Make sure the cage is large enough for all of them (degus need a ton of space) and have one food dish per degu.

It sounds complicated but females are usually easy to introduce, you just want to go slow just in case .

I would consider getting the male a buddy (a baby would be the easiest to introduce), male degus are just as social as females. I would also not recommend breeding your degus. Since they're rescues, you don't know their genetic backgrounds.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

THANKS! Stephanie
very good advice I do have them very close to each other at the moment so they talk to each other which can be very noisey they do try and get though the bars so they do know each other but will try your's and keep you posted
THANKS AGAIN !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Newborn Pup

Try putting them togeather only at night. Degus will fight all day and cuddle at night to sleep.

Tags
degues