An Ear for Music - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Smile An Ear for Music

I've noticed that whenever I put on nice music or play it on the piano, (by nice I mean not thrashing heavy metal) my budgie shifts his head to the side and narrows his eyes in a relaxed way, even singing to it and looking very much at peace. He'll fluff up and almost fall asleep. Just today, my friend had her degu over. "Degu" as we call her, seeing as no other name represents her well enough, just sat there, looking incredibly relaxed as we played a duet of a song that we've played many times for her. "Clocks", by Cold Play. Very soft and nice song. My bird was chirping in the background as the degu was nearly put asleep as we played. When we stopped playing to study the animals, they both went back to their own business. However, when we began playing again, the bird went back to chirping softly and cooing as if to a mate, and looking very relaxed. The degu's ears perked up and she also looked incredibly calm and at peace. I could just stroke her under the chin and she'd nearly fall asleep... Some people say animals can't understand or react to music, and that they'll just be afraid. But the degu, a very intelligent animal, was reacting as a human might. Also some people say birds just sing to warn other birds that they're on their territory. But have you ever noticed that most of the time, birds are very at peace with one another? I think they sing for enjoyment, personally.

What do you think? What are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 AM

My degus don't like Madonna or Delta Goodrem!

I have a feeling they do like Coldplay too actually
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My degu's are used to listening to anything as i have a wide music taste. I don't really notice a big difference in them as they are all so used to it that they just carry on as normal with my normal music. I have noticed that if i use my angelic or faerie music for meditation that they do quieten down slightly so there might be something in it

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I guess my animals are just very musical, then.
My bird nearly falls asleep, and becomes extremely gentle...
We're talking... Like, the music I listen to. o_O John Lennon, The Beatles, Cold Play, softer Porcupine Tree, Camel...Oh, and they like "Old and Wise", by Alan Parson's Project. But I'm sure no one here's heard of that, since I mostly listen to unheard of bands that my father once introduced to me. x) They're also very used to me playing the piano around them. -shrug-
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM

I don't listen to music much in my room but I noticed that when I do put it on, they both climb up to the second level and lay down looking straight at me. They'll stay in that position as long as the music is on. It's really cute
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:49 PM

Just a thought...if the bird was chirping and singing at the same time, maybe Degu was listening to her. They have very similar sounds. Maybe Degu was trying to figure out what the bird was saying, or maybe she was telling him a story on the two of them could understand in chirps and coos!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

O_o Well not always at the same time. Then the bird started eating and the degu still looked very relaxed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:42 AM

Our girls love ColdPlay too (Carrie esp. loves "The Scientist" for some reason, she will stop her insane digging and lay down wherever she is and listen to the entire song!) and The Streets. Their cage is in our living room so they do get to listen to a wide variety of music.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mine loves The Scientist, too! Maybe they just like Coldplay?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Yeah, could be. I wonder what it is about ColdPlay that attracts them and if there's similar artists that they will listen to? My girls also like really "dancy" EBM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I think because it's really soft and full of feeling. Animals like that.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I've noticed that when my mother was playing Enya, my bird was just insane. It's because it's soft and ...Well I don't know. Mine came out even loving euro dance, so it might just be preference.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:32 PM

..they also seem to have a soft spot for Tafelmusik's Mozart's Requiem.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not a fan of coldplay and neither are my degu's they like the harder stuff, the heavier the better it seems Like i said before they will listen to anything as i have a wide taste in music anything from AC/DC to the goo goo dolls and enya to dance and trance and meditation music. I personally think they don't really have a taste they just get used to whatever you listen too and probably don't pay that much attention to it anyway as they get along in their busy lives!

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:20 PM

I never thought to place a post on this...this is a cool subject.
Every night as, I prepare to leave for work, I turn on 'smooth jazz' for all of my critters to listen to while I am gone. I notice a big difference when I return home in the morning. They are all more relaxed rather than behaving like ping-pong balls when I enter the home. I think this is from the fact that I listen to this type of music when I am cleaning their cages and doing general house duties. The music keeps them calm thinking of me while I am away with a sense a closeness while it is on. If I go to work without turning on the music, I return home to critters that go ballistic all over their cage doors to be the first one to greet me and be pet. They do this anyway when I return home, but I notice a lessened intensity with the music on....this is cool.