Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I bought 100% organic extra virgin olive oil, for myself. I soak pieces of wheat bread in it as treats for my Rat's shiny coats. Will the olive oil be fine to give to my Degus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't really advise giving them the oil personally as i don't think it is good for them as they have a different constitution and dietry needs to rats and i don't think it would do them any good in the long run. Also if your degu's have regular access to a sandbath and a good diet then there isn't any need to supplement their diet with anything else as just these two things should promote a healthy shiny coat naturally especially the sand as it rids the coat of any impurities keeping it clean. If you did want to give them a supplement to help keep their coats in tip top condition then one that is safe to use and i know a few people who use it and Steph (Purplebunny) has tried it aswell as i told her about it, is oil of evening primrose capsules. You break a capsule over their food every couple of months or so and it helps to promote a shiny coat

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Curmudgeon

As far as I have read, the natural diet of a degu is primarily leafy grasses. Depending on range and season, they do supplement their diet with naturally occuring seeds. Some of these probably have naturally occuring oils in them.

I don't think the addition of small amounts of olive oil would be detrimental to your degu. It is one of the 'healthiest' of the oils, especially if it's Extra Virgin (and organic if possible). In moderation, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd be more conscious about the bread. For an animal that can be prone to possible diabetes, I'd be very conservative on starches and sugars... JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 AM

Hi as Kirsty(Amethystbelle) mentioned I do give mine a some Evening Primrose in their food once a month.. I havent noticed much change, but I will continue doing so.. Maybe you should try it too, tell us how you get on..