Eye Query :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Eye Query :(

Hi again....

I'm a bit concerned about Jerry!

A year or so ago, he had a bad eye infection and lost one eye, but he's coped very well with only one.

I was away for a week and have had a neighbour looking after them, and he seemes to have developed a problem with his other good eye, either another infection or a cataract. He still appears to be able to see something through it and isn't completely blind.

I'm giving him TIACIL (SP?) drops in his eye for it being an infection (as it came on so quickly). He is really not himself and is avoiding me a bit, so i think he's in a bit of pain with it, again, making it seem more like an infection.

If it was a cataract, would he be in pain? or would he still be able to carry on with it?

He's been through so much with his other eye, i feel pretty bad for him! Any ideas? Is there anything else i can get from my vet that might be better? They have me Tiacil before, which is why i'm using it now.

All advice welcome!! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww i'm sorry to hear about Jerry

If it was a cataract and there was no other underlying problems such as diabetes then he would just carry on as normal. Basil had had a cataract on his left eye for the last 2 years and has no problems apart from a lack of vision. Degus do adapt pretty well as they don't have the worlds best vision anyway and use their whiskers to see a lot. If he has lost his vision it could be a reason why he is acting so funny around you or it could be the sign of an infection. Is there any discharge or weeping? If it is no better when you have finished the treatment i would discuss it with your vet, he should be able to tell if it is a cataract or an infection and if it is an infection he might prescribe stronger drops if the others don't work. Keep us posted on how he is

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

i've not noticed any discharge or weeping, but then i've not been around for the last week. he keeps scratching at it which isn't helping.

I dont think its diabetes related.... i've not changed their diets and raisin seems to be okay. although saying that, jerry has gotten a bit fatter.... too many treats? I hope not... i'd feel awful if it was my fault

I've contacted a vet through a friend and see if they suggest any stronger drops....

he used to come up to the top of the cage to see me and now he won't I gave him the drops last night and he hid snuggled into me for 10 mins chattering and shaking.... this makes me think is more pain related, and more likely to be an infection.

I'm very worried about him, and raisin is looking a it old and weary too now... my poor little babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I've just had another look at him eye, its more of a reddy cloudy colour which isn't good.... the more i see it, the less i think its a cataract. I'm hoping the Tiacil works becuase i think it would be unfair on him to lose the second eye. His quality of life wouldn't be great would it!

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

the eye was weepy this morning. he's not a happy degu and hates the drops. They said it was my choice to give him the tiacil, and they want me to take him in as soon as possible.

the vet advises i go and see them, but i'm struggling to be able to take the time off work and am quite broke at the mo :-( rummy cost us nearly 250 in total, and i cant afford much.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would ring your vets and explain the situation, most vets will offer you a payment plan were you can pay a little off each week, they also will offer advice. It doesn't sound like a cataract as cataracts normally appear as a small white cloudy haze and appear gradually over a month or so. Redness indicates to me there is either an infection present or maybe an ulcer. I would try and see your vet as he may need stronger drops to clear whatever is there up and your vet might be able to give you a definate answer. If he did lose his sight in that eye aswell he would adapt really well as they don't have wonderful eye sight to start with and they use their whiskers and hearing to sense a lot

Kirsty

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to try for thursday night. I dont want to leave it.

i hope he doesn't have to lose the other eye. I'd feel awful for him. he's been through quite a lot!

Thank You!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

I have a vets appointment tonight for him. Whatever it is has gone hard and he is as good as blind at the minute. he's coping okay with it.

Whatever it is, its only happened in a week - so quickly!

I have a horrible feeling hes going to lose this eye too. Whats his quality of life going to be if he does
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:36 AM

Awww! So sorry to hear about Jerry I hope everything goes fine at the vet and he makes a good recovery whatever the problem is
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fingers crossed for Jerry tonight, i hope it turns out to be nothing for the pair of you as you have been through so much together, please let us know how you get along

Kirsty

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Its an eye ulcer (a pretty nasty one too). we have stronger oil based drops (will let you know the name later), and hopefully this will sort it out.

Otherwise there are some steroid based drops (which the vet is reluctant to use) and if the worst happens, there is the option of surgery again.

He has to go back on monday and i'll keep you posted on the progress!

THanks for your support!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Fingers crossed for the little guy, my dog had a bad eye ulcer and she ended up with her eye being stitched up for 6 weeks to help the eye heal on its own so i know they aren't pleasant things

Kirsty

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM

aawww, poor little guy. <hugs>
I wish him a speedy recovery!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

FUCITHALMIC ointment

The stuff we are giving him is called FUCITHALMIC eye drops (although its more of a gel type thing)

Hes not liking it, but he perked up a it yesterday.... taking him back on monday! hopefully it would have cleared up a bit by then!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats the stuff my dog had and what is prescribed in most eye problem cases, its good stuff and quite strong so the vet should be able to see on monday whether or not it is working

Kirsty