Fighting? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Fighting?

Hello everyone. I know it's been awhile since I've posted, I'm sorry, but I have a problem and this is the first place I thought of to come! ^_^
Ham & Cheese have been doing great, they're growing so quickly!!! Of course like any brother and sister they disagree at times and fuss back and forth until one of them backs off, and it's no different when I feed them.
But lately, anytime I put food in thier cage Ham gets extremely violent with Cheese. They screech and squeal at each other so loud, they scratch, they nibble, and Ham normally ends up beating Cheese up. But Cheese, the poor thing, just wants to eat so he keeps trying to go for the food just to have Ham attack him again. I've been having to feed them seperately lately, after the food has been in there for awhile they're fine together, but when I first put it in, if I don't seperate them it just gets violent.
I know I read somewhere that one degu will become more dominant and eat before the other, and sometimes this could lead to fights until dominancy is established, but this seems really mean compared to thier normal bickering. So should I just let them fight it out until a pecking order is established or should I keep feeding them seperately?
Thanks everyone and have a wonderful day! ^_^
--Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:21 AM

i had the same problem with salt and pepper, i just let them sort it out on their own. It takes a little while for the lesson to be learn. But they are fine now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Will It Ever Change?

what i recommend, as it worked for my girls, is have two of everything....food bowls, water and wheel if you can. at points i had three food bowls because they'd chase each other from them

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Yes, same recommendation as Mulder. Make sure they each have a portion of the new food. And you could put the portions in totally different parts of the cage - say, one portion downstairs, and one upstairs. That way each gets to eat.

It is, unfortunately, normal for them to bully each other a bit, but giving them both a portion will settle things down, and at least let little Cheese have a chance to eat a good meal!

Try that, and let us know how it goes!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree two of everything is a must with any pair. With my pairs i usually have a large bowl they can share and then two smaller bowls in different parts of the cage so they can eat seperately if they wish or together. Are Ham and Cheese both males?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM

I also do the two food dishes and wheels. My boys will yell and scream at each other at who gets the goodies in the dish first... silly Degus.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! I had two food dishes in thier cage orginally, one on the bottom and one on the very top, it's a homae-made three story cage so it kept them pretty far apart when they ate, but one of them was plastic so of course...it's gone now! Lol. But I will definitely do it again, anything to keep them from fighting like that. And actually, the food is the only thing they argue over, I mean, little disagreements here and there, but they don't fight over water or anything else like that.
Salt and Pepper, haha, guess I'm not the only one who though of food when I got my degus! Lol. And to Amethystebelle, no, Ham is a female and Cheese is her brother, he's bigger and she still beats him up though! Lol.

Oh and actually, that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to get answered. Considering they are brother and sister, do I need to worry about them mating? I mean, if they had little degus I'd be fine with it, but I don't want them to if it's un-safe for them or the babies.
Thanks again everyone!
--Jo
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well bro and sis or not, they might try to mate, watch for that. you may have to separate

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 AM

I had the same problem with my 2, to the extent where one started to loose weight and look quite poorly. As all the others have said the simplest solution is to put in 2 feeding bowls and the fighting over food should hopefully be resolved.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I fed them this morning with two different bowls and they still kinda' ran from one to the other and would bicker a little, but I think they'll get used to it and a stop!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM

I would look to get him neutered, or separate them and get a friend for both, otherwise you are going to be having inbred pups soon. They don't care if they are related, they will mate regardless.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I figured that they would breed either way.
But like, I know with dogs and cats it can cause deformities and such, but with other animals there are no worries about inbreeding. So I was just wonderinf that if they did mate, if it would be harmful to the pups?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yess it would

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, food dishes