Fighting alot - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Fighting alot

Yesterday two of my Degus started fighting badly after free range time. I checked them two hours after they were let out and
noticed Parsley was missing. After searching the cage I found her hiding in one of the tubes, she had a large bite wound on her face.

The wound wasn't deep luckily but there is another problem. After I put her back in the cage thyme one of my other girls started attacking her. Both are behaving aggressively towards another and I am certain its a dominance issue as both are constantly trying to mount one another.

I separated them keeping Parsley with Rosemary in the top of the cage and Thyme with Sage in the bottom hoping they would calm down. Reintroductions this morning were not good as once again they fought, blood was drawn and they had to be separated.

their current cage is 50cm by 80cm by 100cm this is half the size of their previous cage. they are in this cage while I build them a new one which should be finished this weekend however I am worried that this current downsizing has made my Degus less tolerant of each other. I am also wondering whether its because of the time of year as I am sure i read somewhere that the Degu breeding season was around this time. could this be a cause

I not sure what to do right now and don't know whether this behaviour will stop when they are put in the new cage. If they still don't get along I'm not sure i can have two cages in my room permanently should I introduce them into the new cage together? or should split the new cage and let the live in pairs?

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It definitely sounds like the smaller cage made them fight. Most degu fights are caused from lack of space.

I wouldn't try any more re-introductions until you have the new cage built. Then try again.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

sorry for the late reply. thanks for the advise Sasami

yes, I will defiantly be waiting till the new cage before putting them together. Unfortunately the new glass doors have been delayed so it won't be a very successful cage until Tuesday.

does anyone know if its ok to keep rotating rosemary and sage between the two halves of the cage? They both get along with the fighting girls so I feel a little cruel keeping them separated if they have no problem with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't see a problem with that .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok so first night back together. they've been fine free ranging with each other for the past three nights so this afternoon I let them back into the cage together. there's been a lot of noise as they try to re-establish the hierarchy but no fighting so far.

finger crossed
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Newborn Pup

We have two fighting female degus who only fight between late November and early Feb. We think it's something to do with breeding season and just have to separate them altogether as they even bite each other through the cage gaps.

As soon as breeding season ends we re-introduce them by swapping them from top to bottom, then letting them out together in a space that isn't the cage and then eventually putting them together in the cage (always after being freshly cleaned). We then put them together with a small lamp with a normal bulb and they just sun bathe in the heat together and all is well again...bit of a hassle but it's all fine apart from the missing toes that the stronger one bit off!!!

Hopefully they will calm down as the years go by and they pass their sexual peak.

P.S. They never ever box like the other two males we had did to establish hierarchy, just straight into biting of toes. Also the strong one seems to love being tickled and turns upside down into a daze but the other one hates it and doesn't like the other cleaner her either. Maybe that is what is annoying the stronger one??

Tags
degus, fighting