Fighting Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Fighting Degus

HELP! My 2 degus, male & female, have been together since December. Female is 1 year, male is a little younger. Within the past month they have been fighting, a lot. Squealing, jumping, everything. It is so bad sometimes I have to separate them or do something to take their minds off each other. I think the female starts it, over food, water or just because. Today, I was holding Nibbler (the male, he bites ) and he looks like he is losing fur behind his neck. Could Sweetheart (the female, she doesn't bite, me that is) be attacking him so bad that the fur comes out?
Help! What should i do?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have a few siblings that will fight over food.I put an xtra dish in there so they each have one.
Yes it is possible for her to be doing that to him.If the fighting keeps up and gets worse I would suggest seperating them for awhile.
I would watch them closely because a small fight could turn into a deadly one.
Put the cages next to each other.
I have 2 pairs and never had a problem but I hhave always had each a dish of their own.JM2 cents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I do feed them separatly, now, I separated them for about 3 days and they were both depressed: not playing, not running around or anything. When I reunited them, they were very happy. Then the fighting started again. I will try the 2 cage thing when i can find another cage. They used to be fine with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had to seperate degus in the past due to fighting and like Runt says a small innocent fight can turn nasty in no time. I'd try giving them two food bowls and water bottles etc and if the fighting still doesn't stop it could be a dominance issue on the females part. One of my first degus Nipper (as he used to bite frequently) was very dominant and he used to pluck his brothers ear hair out to make himself look more handsome as he was the top degu in that pairing but they never ever had a fight and lived peacefully together. I had two other degus who lived together quite happily for 2 years and then oneday just decided they didn't like each other anymore and started squabbling over everything and nothing and oneday the fight turned nasty and they had to be seperated and couldn't stand each other anymore and lived in cages next door to each other so i know how you are feeling right now. I'd try doing as Runt suggested and like i mentioned earlier and giving them two food bowls and water bottles and see how you go on if it still continues then i think it might be best to seperate them for a while and see how you go on!

Please let us know how you get on and goodluck

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

I think my degus are fighting because one wants to breed. Could that be possible. I have noticed the fighting starts when one is sniffing the others butt (for lack of a better term) Then the sniffee turns to fight with the sniffer. Right now they are chirping at each other. in their cage i now have a separate "hide-a-way", food bowl, & water dispenser up on my second level. I will keep an eye on them, though.
THe other day one of them was making like "hiccup" squeeks at regular intravals. Is that the sound they make after they mate? Could that be the reason for the female's grouchy mood? Will they sometimes fight during mating time?
Thanks for any help
Jenninfer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That could well be a possibility as maybe shes not ready to mate as degus tend to breed when they feel like it rather than like with rats and mice who breed every month or so for life. Normally after mating they make like a warbling sound so that could be the noise you heard!? Has the male been neutered or are you hoping to breed them? If you aren't hoping to breed them then a solution could be to get him neutered as that should cool his ardour so to speak and they should get on a lot better that way and be able to continue to live in the same cage.

Goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
food bowl, food bowls