Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mebri123 
#1 ·
Okay, I need help. We bought a degu a couple weeks back not really knowing a lot about them. When we went on different websites and read that they needed to have a cagemate, we immediately started looking for another one. The problem is, they didn't have any of his littermates left. He was the last one. We finally found another degu in another town. But the problem is that they HATE eachother. We cleaned everything, even put vanilla extract in their dust bath so they would smell the same. We put a screen to separate the cage so they could still smell each other and get used to each other. But they still fight. What else can I do to help them get along? Is there a possiblity that they will EVER get along? I really don't want to keep them separate forever. Then I still have to worry about them being lonely!! We get each of them out and love on them. But one is still afraid of us, and he is the one that seems to get depressed and lonely, but doesn't want to take him out! Should we just wait, then keep trying to introduce them again in a neutral territory like we have been? Please help!!

#3 ·
We put them in a neutral cage to see how they would do. I was leery of this, but my husband thought it would be okay. They were fine for a few minutes, but then they began fighting. One of them ended up scratching the other one before we could get them apart. Then we cleaned EVERYTHING including the cage. Then we made a screen wall to separate the cage so they could still smell, see and hear each other. After a couple of days we put them in a neutral cage (an old aquarium that we would use when we were cleaning out the normal one when we just had one.) that had been cleaned. They did better, but after a few minutes they began to fight again!

#6 ·
If you have them in separate cages, you can push the cages together. That way, even if they never manage to get along enough to live together, they aren't alone either. They can snuggle with each other through the bars of their cages, groom a bit, but still stay far away if they get fed up with each other.

#7 ·
Actually they are in a huge aquarium that is made for small pets. HELP!!! I just woke up from a nap to find GusGus in Dashs side of the cage!!! One of them chewed THROUGH the screen in just a couple of hours!! I even checked on them before I laid down to make sure neither of them had gotten the idea to chew through it!! What should I do now?

And to answer Amethystbelle's question, we have tried to introduce them about 4 times.

#9 ·
Thanks for all of your comments! Well, after they chewed threw the wire, we decided to just put them in there with fresh dust with vanilla in it. Then we just watched to see what they did. They have been doing pretty good! They will fight for a few seconds, then go their separate ways! Then fight for a minute, then go move on. I am so happy that they aren't trying to kill each other anymore!

#12 ·
Males are harder to introduce and it usually takes a while longer for them to bond then females. Sometimes you have success first time and sometimes it can take 20 times and sometimes they won't get on at all. You can expect some fighting to start with as they need to establish an order, if the fighting turns serious (i.e they are in a ball rolling round) then seperate and reintroduce again after one or two days :)

#14 ·
They are getting along a lot better!! They still fight some, but it is mainly over things!! We had to buy 2 wheels b/c Dash doesn't want to share! We finally just put them both in there together and let them fight it out. They fought most of the first night, but then the next day, they were sleeping in their house together! Its funny, they will start fighting, then the next minute they are grooming each other! I love to listen to them talk to each other. Sometimes it sounds like they are a bickering couple! Thank you all for all your comments and advice!

#15 ·
I am so glad that things are going better for your 2!

Yes, they are like children in some ways, and aren't fond of sharing certain things. That was a great idea to get them 2 wheels!

It's nice for them to each have their own food bowl, and water access too, if they seem to fight over those kinds of things.

I am glad to hear that they are enjoying good snuggling and grooming times, those are the best moments! Sounds like they are starting to become friends - gotta love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.