First Bloody Fight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

First Bloody Fight

Hello there. This is my first post.
I was seeking some Degu advice. I own 2 males, not related. I have had them for a year and got them both just after weaned so they are not even about 1.5 years. They have lived together the whole time I have had them with no problem. In the beginning introdution stages they did their boxing, but nothing big. They still argue, push, and pick. But have never been injured. Today I heard a huge fight and wento to look in the cage and there was one, Chippy, with a mouth FULL of blood. I freaked out, started crying, called my mom and made an appoitment to the vet for an hour later. Within mins he stopped bleeding and was acting normal. The vet look a good look at his mouth and here the other Degu, Squeakers, took a chunk out of chin and then he bite himself and his bottem lip is basically gone. He gave me Baytril and I took him home. He's doing fine. Eating, drinking, pooping. But when I put him back in his cage the other one wants to comfort him and he doesn't want comforted and is a lil leary with him now. He just wants left alone and Squeakers doesn't understand that then they fight. And now they are humping each other! (sorry no better term) They never do that, but maybe that is what started the whole thing. Then they fight about that. The vet said don't seperate they, they will spate it out and get along like always. But Squeakers keeps trying to help Chippy and he doesn't want it. They keep fighting, and now he has a wound on his back bleeding. So I did seperate them. And all they do is cry talking to each other and won't go to sleep. But then I put them together and they fight! Advice please? What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sorry but if that was me i would seperate them no questions asked as theres a fine line between play and real fighting with degus and as one has been injured then i'd seperate them temporarily till at least the other ones healed up no matter what the vet said. As you have already seperated them i'd keep them near each other and seperated for a week or so and then maybe try them together again, introducing them etc.... and see how you go on. You really need to get to the bottom of why they are fighting in the first place if you want to resolve this? For example is it over food? A toy? Space? Is the cage big enough? Do they have enough shelves? My own thought is they could have reached sexual maturity and are reacting to that and now fighting! There has to be something thats causing them to squabble and if you can find out what it is then maybe just maybe you can resolve it and get them back together

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I'm sorry but if that was me i would seperate them no questions asked as theres a fine line between play and real fighting with degus and as one has been injured then i'd seperate them temporarily till at least the other ones healed up no matter what the vet said. As you have already seperated them i'd keep them near each other and seperated for a week or so and then maybe try them together again, introducing them etc.... and see how you go on. You really need to get to the bottom of why they are fighting in the first place if you want to resolve this? For example is it over food? A toy? Space? Is the cage big enough? Do they have enough shelves? My own thought is they could have reached sexual maturity and are reacting to that and now fighting! There has to be something thats causing them to squabble and if you can find out what it is then maybe just maybe you can resolve it and get them back together
I agree with Kirsty! Keep us informed!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks guys so much it's hard to find fellow Degu-owners =)

Well, Chippy(the hurt one) is been getting tons of sleep and getting back to normal. Jumping around and chewing everything. Their cage is pretty big, it is handmade. It's 3 level/stories tall with each level being 1foot high by 2feet long and wide. They got lil stairs and stuff. They do have 2 food bowls, 2 water bottles, 2 'toy areas'. The only thing they shared was the "bed" which they want to share and the wheel. I went out and bought a second wheel yesterday. So I decided to today add on another level to the top and block the middle of the cage seperating them and each owning two levels. Seperating the starway with wire so they can still communicate. And keep them like this for while, good idea? Just right now until tonight when I build on I had a heavy book blocking the stairway and well this morning they got to each other! Good news though, no fighting. They sniffed each other and made it for about half an hour until the other one, Squeakers started sniffing Chippys bottem and I seperated them. I think it is reaching the sexually maturaity thing, but Squeakers is about 3 months younger. Will they get over it or is this permanent? It's so sad, bc Squeakers doesn't sleep good without Chippy.

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Did they fight before you seperated them or was it just sniffing? Degu's do fight and they play fight but there is a fine line between that and real fighting and when you reintroduce them there will be some sort of conflict as they have been seperated and ones going to want to be the top degu the one in charge so they will fight for a start but it should stop within seconds and then they both should be ok with each other again afterwards and carry on as if nothing happened but if its the sort of fight where you need to break it up and one gets hurt i'd definately keep them seperated for a short while and then see how you go on from there as its better for them to live in close proximity to one another then for one or both to be seriously injured

Please keep us posted on how you go on

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

If one is humping the other and biting the scruff of his neck then amethysbelle is right, they have reached sexual marurity. They are most likely doing the king of the cage routine, this is when male degu's hump, sniff and intimidate eachother, they express dominance by getting on the other degu's back and pinning him down. The fights usually start when the degu being pinned doesnt want to be submissive and fights back. I've had this happen with brother degu's that have been together their whole lives, they usually stop when one degu accepts defeat but on occassion stubborn males will just fight and fight because neither of them wants to be submissive. You were right to seperate them, I hope that if you reintroduce them to eachother that they play nice and become good freinds again, but if the fighting continues then i would seperate them longterm. Also i just want to say that i think its great that you took your little guy to the vet, you sound like a very good degu owner, and degus deserve good owners

Lois Isabel

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah I'm very lucky to have a vet who knows what a Degu is! He is an extoic vet and I take all my animals to him now, extoic or not. He has a few people who have Degus and he knew exactly what had happened. I'm still giving him Baytril orally, it's so cute because he hates the taste! *lol* I have to lay him down and force it into his mouth and he just tounges the serigne to death! And then bites me when we are all down. The bite seems to be a normal thing now everytime he takes it, it's just an agner bite and I understand though. But everytime I flip him back over I'm ready for the pinch now!

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish

Tags
doing fine, food bowl, food bowls