First Meeting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

First Meeting

Today after a week of separation i let my two boys meet.

I had them share a dust bath and then put them into the tub (Edgar had never been in there before), where i sat with them.

Edgar (big boy) was super excited and kept wanting to groom and play. Mori (little boy) was fine for about 20 minutes but then became very aggressive with Edgar.

I honestly expected Edgar to fight back. He tried to mount Mori but Mori would "yell" and Edgar would back right down. He was very submissive and Mori even mounted him a few times. Edgar seemed almost amused by the baby lol

But Mori wouldn't calm down and bit Edgar a bit to hard and he squeaked. So i put Mori back and let Edgar run around in the closed off area near the bathroom.

Here's the kicker. Edgar chirped for Mori the whole time. I put him back in his cage and he tried to break free to get to Mori. Even though Mori was being a brat Edgar already loves him lol

I tried to give them another shot but Mori again got aggressive so back he went. I gave Edgar a treat but he continued chirping after he ate it.

So any thoughts on why baby Mori was so aggressive? And do you think he will calm down after a few meetings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would continue doing meetings but they need to be a lot shorter! 20+ minutes for the first time was too long. Try to aim for lots of short, friendly meetings . That way they build a positive association with each other. This might mean 5 minute meetings at first.

It sounds like Mori was scared of the strange, adult male. Can't really blame him . He'll calm down once he realizes that Edgar means no harm . It sounds like Edgar is doing well with the baby so hopefully they'll be good friends once the baby calms down.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Haha he was being so headstrong i find it hard to believe he was afraid!

I kept the meeting much shorter today about 6 mins and they groomed each other :]

I tried again later and Mori went right for the attack XD So i'll keep it to one meeting a day until he gets used to being nice.

Edgar is doing wonderful i honestly didn't expect him to since he's been without a companion for 2 years (he was 1 1/2 when i got him from his previous owner)

Thanks for all the advise Sasami you are the GU-ru ;]

Tags
degus meeting