First time here, but say hi to.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

My new Degu as of about a month ago. I happened to stumble upon this website while looking up information on how to handle and train Degu's, among other things. His name is Rambo (at least I'm pretty sure he's a "he"). He was about five months old when I got him, so he's about six months old right now. So far he's been a little bit of a noise maker (chewing on the bars of his cage, some squeaks once in a while (but I've read that's just for attention, which he gets ), throwing his hay-hut around, etc), but not as much as when I first got him. Actually, me and my girlfriend were out for a walk one day and we walked by the petstore, just to take a look. We saw him sitting in his cage all by himself. The very next day we went up to the petstore again, and now he has a new home with me .

For now he's by himself, but I make sure he gets all the attention I can give him. My mom doesn't want me to get another one (for now), plus the cage would need to be bigger. So when the time comes for me to move out, I'll build a custom cage and get him a companion or two.

I almost forgot! Pictures!

Here he is on his first night with us. We put him on a towel at first so he could get to know us.

And here he is, posing for the camera.

Lately I've been trying to train him to hop onto my hand, and I guess I'm getting some progress. I put a small chunk of Triscuit as a treat onto my palm and he puts both paws onto it and grabs it. And he LOVES getting his chin and his chest rubbed/scratched. He'll even stand on his hind legs just to get a rub!

I'll probably hang around these forums for some time to come, as I also have two cats (which don't seem to care about Rambo when he's rolling in his ball downstairs, they're actually scared of him, heh).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hello and to you both You have come to the right place to learn all about degus, if you have any questions feel free to ask

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM

HI! and . i looooooooveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee those pics they are so nice and cute!!! I hope your take good care of him!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Welcome to the board, though there are not a 'ton' of degu owners (compaired to hamsters) I find everyone here is full of great, friendly information
Your second picture is priceless, what a cutie pie!

Here is a link to help you sex your "goo" - http://degus.org/english/rozm_.htm

And here are a couple more of my favorite "Degu" Sites
http://www.degus-online.de/english.htm
http://www.degutopia.co.uk/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Heh, thanks for the replies. Rambo feels right at home.

Quick question though. I've done a fair bit a research into training Degu's, and I understand the best way is with treat rewards. Well, I've also heard that the treats can range anywhere from apple chunks/core to peanuts, depending on the Degu. Well, I've tried apple chunks/core, but Rambo doesn't really care about that. I haven't tried peanuts as of yet, but I'll see to it. So far though, his favorite treat seems to be Triscuits (small bits only though). Triscuits are basically shredded wheat thins, about 4 x 4 cm. I usually give him a small 1 x 1 cm chunk, and he addictively yanks it out've my hand. He knows very well when I'm holding it. Just today I was giving him a piece and he seemed to be begging for it. My question though is, are Triscuits a good (as in safe) treat? The only ingredients are shredded wheat, and small amounts of salt. Is this ok? He seems to be fine, and I don't give it to him very often.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome and very cute pictures!!

I think Triscuits would be a fine treat but as with any food like that, should only be given in small amounts.

I'd try walnuts and dried carrot slices too . My degus love them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear. I didn't think Triscuits would be harmful to him. Thanks! I'll try to find some dried carrot slices too.

Here's a couple more shots. I realize his cage may be a bit small for him, but it's all I could afford on my jobless budget . He seems very happy though.

Not too sure about the dust bath...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The tribiscuits should be ok if only given occasionally as they have added salt so i would only give those once or twice a week. Treats make great rewards as they create a postive emotional response between you and your degu but they should only be given occasionally and only as a treat.

Other things you could try are dried peas, dried carrot, dried corn, puffed wheats, bran flakes, raisens, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cracker (such as ryvita), dried pasta, small pieces of toasted bread. Apple shouldn't be given more than once a week and neither should raisens, peanuts and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. As a treat occasionally (no more than once a month) you could try him with a whole nut in the shell such as a brazil nut or a hazelnut or a walnut as they go mad for them and it also helps keep the teeth trim

Kirsty

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Mine have always been partial to cheerios, but they like bits of triscuit (and wheet thins), as well.

Have fun with your new little guy.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Good news everybody! Looks like my training is starting to show some significant progress! I've been giving Rambo small bits of Triscuits here and again everytime he came out of his cage and sniffed my hand a little. After a week or so he's gotten used to my hand there and now he lets me hold him for longer periods of time (without him starting to scratch at me). I've even held him close to my two cats and he hasn't been scared (nor have my cats for that matter), but I make sure to hold him securely with both hands while doing that. I've been cupping him with both hands, and just lately he's gotten comfortable with me holding him with one hand, not too loose so he can move though, just enough grip so he won't slip out. Progress!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww thats great news

Kirsty

Tags
dried corn, dust bath, hind legs, pumpkin seeds, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds