Is this food Ok? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM

I personally free feed their pellets right now. No one seems to be getting over weight or anything. But of course my females are pregnant and eating more and my male is still young. I think with an older goo I might watch their food a little closer. I've heard that about a table spoon of food per goo is close to the right amount give or take a little. If you put in one amount and they eat the whole thing, give them a little more next time, If they don't finish what's in their bowl give a little less. Every goo is different. I think I've seen you post that you've checked stores like PetSmart and other big chains. Have you looked for other privately owned stores, often these carry different brands of foods. They are also usually very willing to order a special brand for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM

I also just give free access to all the pellets they can eat all day, everyday. So far, no weight problems.

I have a problem with Imana rummaging through her pellets, and dumping a lot of them out, so that makes it hard to feed her a measured amount. LOL

Not too long ago, I bought a new kind of bowl. It's a Lixit brand bowl, that hangs on the side of the cage. I changed because we also had a problem with urinating and defecating in the food bowl. Having this dish that hangs has solved that problem completely.

I think Imana likes it too, because I put a little perch next to the dish. I don't know, it seems more natural because she has to climb up, and balance on her perch to eat.

At least there's no poo or pee in it anymore! LOL
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

So my guess is that I can get a smaller one, but I might go with the bigger ones b/c they only cost like a dollar more. I have went to a small feed store close to me and asked if they had any food suitable for them, they said they didn't, but they would check w/ their suppliers and see and if not they would see if they could find it somewhere and special order it for me. So I'll have to wait and see.

I am also going to go to a small pet store right down the road from the feed store soon, so I'll see if they have any. I know they have tons of Chinchilla stuff and bird stuff, so I think that'll be my jackpot. I'm crossing my Fingers!!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM

That sounds like you are on the right track. My advice is check all the lables yourself. Many store workers take short cuts and don't really know what they are talking about and you may end up with something you cant use. Are you asking people about food suitable for degus? if so, alot of people have no clue what they need and may tell you no just because of that... so make sure they know that a simple guinea pig food with no molasses or dried beet pulp is what you need. keep looking, I know you'll find SOME thing!
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The people at the feed shop are really nice. I explained to them that Degus can't have any type of sugar whatsoever. I told them that the best thing is specialy formulated degu food, but it is alright to give them eithe Guinea Pig or Chinchilla food. They were really considerate and understanding. The only thing they asked was what brand of foods, and I wasn't sure right off the bat. BUt they said they would get ahold of me if they find anything

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I also free feed my degus, they have access to food 24/7 although i only top the bowls up when needed to encourage them to eat everything so they get a balanced diet. I haven't had an overweight degu yet

I have stainless steal bowls that attach to the side of the cage think they are called coop bowls. I use these as degus are prone to moving food bowls around and throwing them about so with the coop bowls its a little difficult for them to do that. I use two different size bowls, each cage has a large coop bowl and then a smaller one per extra degu in different areas of the cage. So with my foursome i have a large bowl and 3 smaller ones.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the food but i agree double check anything they try to sell you as it always pays off to do so as sometimes shop workers will try and sell you anything

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM

At one of my grocery stores, I found Western Family Supreme Guinea Pig Feed which is only $3 for a 4 lb bag. There is no molasses, beet pulp or other such undesirables. I was surprised to find the food that I need at the grocery store. No pet stores around here carry guinea pig feed without molasses. So, you might want to check your grocery store...
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. I didn't even think to check there! I know when I do find some I am going to buy a large quanity of it, just in case they decide not to stock it anymore!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 AM

That sounds like a good idea!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM

Hi

Just wondering I feed my degus Prestige Degus Nature...does anyone else feed this food and is it good food?

Thank you

Shannon
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 PM

I've never heard of that brand, I'm currently feeding Vitacraft sunseed degu formula. As long as it's made up of mostly timothy hay, and includes no dried cane molasses, dried beet pulp, or any kind of fruit it should be fine. Of course timothy hay should be available all the time...
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkeeper View Post
Hi

Just wondering I feed my degus Prestige Degus Nature...does anyone else feed this food and is it good food?

Thank you

Shannon
I haven't heard of that brand. Do you have an ingredients list?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Whatever you do i would stop feeding the Prestige food as its bad for degus in the long term I was given a bag by my local petstore last year to try and when i got it home i read the ingredients and its full of things such as raisins, banana chips etc... that are bad for degus as they are too sweet. It was also bulked out with locust beans which again aren't all that good for degus

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I haven't heard about that brand either. I will know to keep a look out and if I see it not to buy it. The brand I am tring to find is that Oxbow food that was on another post. If I have to I can get it on the internet, but I would prefere not to pay the $15 shipping for one five pound bag of food.

Can anyone give me a clear list of good brands to check for. A couple local petstores told me that if I know the names, they can see if they can special order it for me. Thanks a bunch!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:57 PM

The only degu formula I have tried is the Sunscription Vita degu formula. That is what mine are on now. I'd give you a few names of GP foods that are goo suitable, but I can't because now everything in my area has molasses, and I can't remember what I was feeding when I found it.

Tags
cage cleaning, dandelion greens, degu food, dog food, dried beet pulp, dried fruit, dried fruits, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, food bowls, food dishes, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, hamster food, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pumpkin seeds, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds, sunscription vita degu formula, timothy hay