Is this food Ok? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I have found a guinea pig food at Wal-Mart that is called Small World Guinea Pig food. I have looked on the internet for it, and it isn't on the internet except for small world ahmster and gerbil foor. Anyways, the food at wal-mart has no sugary stuff into it, and no fruit. It is like an alfalfa mix with the pellets instead of a bunch of other stuff. I have checked the ingreciates and their is nothing that I think is bad, I will have to either call wal-mart and see if they'll give me a list of the ingrediantes, or the next time I go I will sit there and right everything down! It has a bunch of the long worded stuff into it. Just curious, does anyone else use this brand? It is really cheap.

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 PM

That sounds a lot like what I feed my goos. I found mine at the grocery store. I'll have to check out Walmart next time I'm there to see if they have anything
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

okay, thanks.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I bought some of that food today at wal-mart, here is a list of most of the ingredients:

Wheat Middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, Dried Whey, Corn, Linseed Meal, Vegtable Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium..... and the list goes on with a lot of other long words that I have no clue what they mean.

This is all in pellets, so there is no "this is my favorite" and " I don't like that". I bought it just in case it was ok, I figured that if it wasn't, then I could always take it back. What do you think? If all those other long worded ingredients help, then I can list them, it would just take a while!!! Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM

That sounds like it's good! Most of the time cane molasses and dried beet pulp happen within the first half of the ingredient list, so you're probably good there, just make sure they also have timothy hay available all the time, and other veggies and things often!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petluvr01 View Post

This is all in pellets, so there is no "this is my favorite" and " I don't like that".

LOL Good idea! Are you sure you haven't had Goos before? You seem to be reading their little minds. lol
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'm pretty sure!! Although I have a dwarf hamsters who have food with tons of other stuff in it, and they had choosen what they like, and that's what they eat!!! The nest time I go to Wal-mart, I will try to pick up a few more bags of it. It is only $2.00 for a 5 LB bag. It's pretty cheap. I have picked up a bag of timothy hay to at Wal-mart, I will put that in the suet thing I got, so they have that available all the time.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I was wondering what food would be better for goos: Small World Guinea Pigs food, or Oxbow Cavy Guinea Pig food. I got the small world food at Wal-mart for $2, and my local feed store found some of the Oxbow food for $8, both a 5 pound bag. I wasn't sure which one was better, since now I have an option. Thanks for the help you guys!!!!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Check the ingredients on the oxbow as they used to add mollasses to the feed a while back

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

I think what ever you can find without molasses, made with the most timothy hay and grains is best. Higher quality food will have things like corn lower down on the list.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah I just checked the ingredients on the Oxbow food and it does have cane molasses in it. I guess i got my answer. I am pretty sure that the small world food doesn't have any corn into it. Is corn good for them?

Ok, I have one question: Is it ok to just give goos guinea pig food, or is it nessasary to have a mixture of chinchilla and guinea pig food? Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM

IF you can find a food without corn, that's probably best, but corn is in nearly everything. It wont really hurt them, but you don't want to just sit and feed them corn either. In dog foods and things it's used as a filler, because it's cheap. Yes, it is ok to feed them just the Guinea pig food. Before I found a degu formula here, I fed them just the GP pellets because all the chin food had molasses in it. Just make sure they always have access to timothy hay, and they get a good serving of veggies!
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree corn is a filler in most small animal feeds, its ok in small amounts but if the foods bulked out with it i would probably either look for something else or try picking some of it out if you can

As long as the guinea pig food is top quality then its fine to just feed guinea pig food as long as they have plenty of hay available as well as a varied diet

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

great thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Tags
cage cleaning, dandelion greens, degu food, dog food, dried beet pulp, dried fruit, dried fruits, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, food bowls, food dishes, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, hamster food, pet store, pet stores, pig food, pumpkin seeds, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds, sunscription vita degu formula, timothy hay