foot problems?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Question foot problems??

As some of you may know, my 2 little boy degus had matching foot wounds around christmas. They are healing well and doing great but I have a few questions.

Their cage is right next to the couch and their wheel is right next to where I sit. Lately when I've been looking over at them I've noticed that they've been grooming the bottoms of their back feet (the wounds are on the top of the foot) while in the wheel. I don't know if they're doing it a lot or if I'm just happening to glance when they do it. Do yours groom their back feet?

A few days ago I noticed that the one boy's scab on his wound was peeled off and raw (didn't look like he hurt it again, just like he removed the scab). I took him into the bathroom and put medicine on it while it was raw just to help it out a little while healing. It doesn't look worse so I think it's doing good, but could the wounds be grooming accidents? He isn't limping or anything, he seems perfectly fine.

Why would they keep grooming their back feet? Could it be their wheel bothering their feet? Did I just not notice how much they did it before? Their wheel is the solid wheel with the little round holes in it for their claws to go in to help them run. Also, it's only the 2 young boys that have the wounds and are grooming, the dad is fine and he's been using that wheel for about 10 months. The girls have a different type of wheel, I could switch the wheels for a few days if I need to.

I'm just a little boggled at the problem, thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM

i havent noticed mine groom thier back feet... sry dont have any advice to give ya though... hope you figure it out
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:43 PM

I wish I could help, but I have never come across this.. Keep us informed, and if in doubt maybe go and see your vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

My boys do groom their back feet and i do see them giving them a good chew occasionally especially between the toes but that is just grooming and mine never have any problems so they do groom their back feet but it shouldn't be excessive just part of the grooming routine. Another thing to bare in mind is with the wounds they have, their saliva will help heal it with any luck as most animals seem to be able to heal themselves by licking wounds although it should never be to excession again (its something i learnt a long time ago and my vet mentioned it when my cat badly injured her leg so i always assume there must be some truth to it ). I'd keep an eye on them and maybe try switching wheels around etc... and see if you get any improvement at all? Another thing is could they have been having small squabbles at all? As they are both at an age were maturity would set in, so could they have nipped at each other in play do you think? As its odd it is only affecting them and not the father!? Goodluck and keep us informed

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

They could have gotten the wounds from playing or a little squabble because they do argue a lot . I just thought it was odd that it was in the same exact spot on both boys.. They're doing great, I just hope it doesn't happen again Hopefully after the wounds completely heal the problem will be over with!