Frustrated with Foods - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Frustrated with Foods

I live in Michigan with two crappy pet stores and even crappier department stores. The stores carry chinchilla, ferret and even sugar glider food but not degu. Everything has some sort of sugar in it.

I read on a site that rat blocks were ok. I saved the blocks after or last rat passed on. So I offered them to the degus and they loved them. We were looking for degu food and I read the ingredients on the rat blocks and they contain cane molasses. So the rat blocks are out.

So far I found guinea pig food with no sugar, timothy hay, mustard greens, tiny bits of sweet potato and carrots. I guess I need to order the degu food online.

Anyone else ordering online? If so, what site do you like. Also, do you like one brand over another?

BTW, my four boys are about 7-9 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rats blocks wouldn't work even if they didn't have sugar, rats have drastically different nutritional needs.

Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com . They have great customer service, I get a lot of pet supplies there.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you so much. I will transfer money to my buy-online card tomorrow and order several bags.

While looking again at care sheets online, several suggest blending guinea pig with chinchilla food. chincilla food has cane molasses. The information out there is frustrating me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc5 View Post
Thank you so much. I will transfer money to my buy-online card tomorrow and order several bags.

While looking again at care sheets online, several suggest blending guinea pig with chinchilla food. chincilla food has cane molasses. The information out there is frustrating me.
No problem .

That info is probably outdated. That used to be necessary because good degu food hadn't been made yet. There was at least one brand of chinchilla food in the United States that lacked molasses (since I used it) but I don't remember what it was called.

Thankfully, that's not a problem now since companies noticed the growing popularity of degus as pets .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks again!

Tags
degu food