Generally anti-social degu? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Generally anti-social degu?

So i've posted quite a few times about my unhappy degu. I got him a friend, but it hasn't worked out. It's been about two months, and they've gotten a couple good fights in during that time. So i decided it's time that the new friend goes back home. I'm just worried that my degu will never get along with any other degus. Of course i dont want him to be lonely, but i also don't want him living with someone he fights with. Do you think he's hopeless? I've had them seperated for almost 2 months and they've gotten at each other and nearly killed each other... mostly coming from my degu. hm. I also wanted to know if you all think a pet store would be willing to take a degu back if it didnt work out. I just dont want to jump into a failing degu situation. Thanks in advance.

xo.Lindsay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 01:46 PM

Hi I have 4 male degus and I have just got them all together for the first time they have been in 2 pairs up until now as i have only had the last pair for a few months. I think it is just trial and error as to whether they will live together. Mine seem ok at the moment they had a few squabbles to begin with but I just kept an eye on them to see if they really started getting aggressive but so far they have been allright. After the first night they were together I was scared to go and see them incase they had killed each other but they were all cuddled up in their hammock it was such a loely sight. Mind you they I had their cages next door to each other for about 2 months before I plucked up the courage to put them together and then I put them in a spare cage I had that didn't have their smell on it as I think they can get quit e territorial.
Good luck.

~Sharon~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It is trial and error your right, one of mine died a few years back and i had to find a friend for my remaining one and after the inital scuffles of whose gonna be top degu they got on fine and lived together for over a year quite happily then oneday they just fell out over what i don't know and they had to be parted as they was going to kill each other. So i parted them and moved there cages to separate rooms and they got depressed without each other, although they couldn't live together they also couldn't live far apart as even though they ignore each other they were company for each other in a silly sort of degu way! So if you can and have room try and keep the other degu as still some sort of company for yours as he can see and hear him and its also someone to compete with and in time they might be ok with each other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by expecttoomuch
So i've posted quite a few times about my unhappy degu. I got him a friend, but it hasn't worked out. It's been about two months, and they've gotten a couple good fights in during that time. So i decided it's time that the new friend goes back home. I'm just worried that my degu will never get along with any other degus. Of course i dont want him to be lonely, but i also don't want him living with someone he fights with. Do you think he's hopeless? I've had them seperated for almost 2 months and they've gotten at each other and nearly killed each other... mostly coming from my degu. hm. I also wanted to know if you all think a pet store would be willing to take a degu back if it didnt work out. I just dont want to jump into a failing degu situation. Thanks in advance.
Hi! I personally think you should continue with these 2, only because there is no way I could get rid of one of my pets! Are they in separate cages? If not why don't you try keeping them separate, and putting their cages next to each other.. When my male Jimmy had to have his op, (neutered) I had to keep him separate for a few months.. When we put him back with the girls, one of them had a fight with him, so I had to keep him in a cage next door, till they got used to each other again.. No problems since!!
If they are in separate cages, let them be together while you watch, the first sign of a fight, get one out..
Hope this helps, keep me informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

My girls occasionally get in scraps but it's nothing like that. I've thought about seperating them before, but it's never very bad, they just seem to piss eachother off once in a while. I also suggest putting him in a seperate cage but keep the cages close together so they can see and smell eachother, it might help. One of my girls isn't as friendly as the other, and it's kind of upsetting but that's their personality....maybe he just wants to be alone?

Look Into My Voice
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

If you had him neutered you could try and put a female in with him, he might get along with girls more. but then there is the risk of the operation and it might not even work! so i will sshhh! heehee!
I just hate hearing about unhappy degu's!!! :O(

Tags
pet store, separate cages