Getting Rid Of Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Getting Rid Of Degus

I have 10 degus 4 boys and six girls. First I had gotten 2 a male and female and then they had babies and right after they had babies the momma go pregnant again and now she has 8 babies. I wanna get rid of them ASAP even the parents. Anyone wanna take them off my hands?

I live in dothan, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

you need to seprate the females from the males or they will just contineau to reproduce

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have had them seperated for a couple of months but I still need to get rid of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Betta Bomb

Try your local classifieds or small animal rescue. Degu's require more advanced care than a hamster or rat no? You might have to scope out a specialized trader in order for them to go to homes that know them.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Playful Pup

seperate the males from females please. the breeding will continue...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Playful Pup

If could get them up to me in NJ I would take them in..... But they'd need to get up here.... Maybe a rescue could help with transport?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry but I let them all go into the wild. I know that they would be happier there.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renak View Post
Sorry but I let them all go into the wild. I know that they would be happier there.
I'm hoping this is a joke and you're just a troll (since these are your only posts).

If not, what you did was not only illegal but a terrible idea for both the degus and your local environment. People like you are why degus are illegal in many states .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't think it was Sasami. I had PMed her because I was interested in two females, since I was so close. She had told me the same thing.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
This is the cruelest thing I've read on here in a long time. Domestic animals in the wild are NOT "happier". They're not even happy. They're cold, starving, and scared, right up until they're killed by some other animal, die of disease, or run out into the road or one of the many thousands of other dangers in the wild which they're unequipped to deal with because they've been living in a house.

Shame on you.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Official Loofah Tester

"I'm sorry, I got degus because I thought they were exotic and cool, but didn't think it worth my time to educate myself on keeping them. Now I'm bored with them, and have let them breed carelessly. So you know what, instead of giving a rip, I'm going to ask for help to say I 'tried' and then I'll toss them outside with the trash because I don't even have enough sense of responsibility to give them time to find a home or even the guts to at least kill them with my own two hands so they don't suffer. And hey, if they survive, what does it matter that they could be destructive to the local environment. It's a happy ending because I say so."

I haven't been this furious in a long while. I'm not a person who anthropomorphizes animals or even necessarily always considers it wrong to euthanize animals for reasons other than to end suffering. But this whole thing shows a total lack of any level of ethical stewardship of animals.

Do yourself and everyone a favor. If you chose to continue to be this kind of animal owner, than never own an animal again.

I know I've probably just broken every rule of the forum by posting this. I'm not going to view or post in this thread again.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Betta Bomb

I vote troll.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Apparently none of you understand. The police of my town said it was ok. I spent months finding them a home and I loved them. AND YES THEY DO ENJOY BEING MORE FREE THAN BE CAGED UP FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES!!! IT IS LIKE BEING IN JAIL. I LOVE animals you don't even know how much i love them. I can own animals if i want. who are you to judge me when I did NOTHING wrong. They are fine I still see them where I let them go and i see them eating food!! Get a life and quit commenting things that you don't even know what you are talking about! DO you even know what troll means. Do everyone a favor and get a life!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Apparently none of you understand. The police of my town said it was ok. I spent months finding them a home and I loved them. AND YES THEY DO ENJOY BEING MORE FREE THAN BE CAGED UP FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES!!! IT IS LIKE BEING IN JAIL. I LOVE animals you don't even know how much i love them. I can own animals if i want. who are you to judge me when I did NOTHING wrong. They are fine I still see them where I let them go and i see them eating food!! Get a life and quit commenting things that you don't even know what you are talking about! DO you even know what troll means. Do everyone a favor and get a life!!
The police in your town are idiots if they said that. Animal Control picks up domestic animals here ALL the time. I work with an exotic rescue. The last degu they picked up out of the wild was almost dead from giardi and had been attacked by a cat. In our state, it's actually illegal to abandon your pets "into the wild".

How awful.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well do you live in ALABAMA?!?!?! I dont think so. and get over it!! ITS DONE! I don't care what you say

Tags
:(!!