Good pets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Good pets?

My little 12 year old sister wants a pet of some sort for her birthday in October. She mentioned a guinea pig but I've seen degus at the pet store before and they are so cute. Which would be easiest for her to care for and funnest for her to play with??

I have ferrets, I'd love to get her one, but she is much to immature to realize how hard they are to take care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

GUINEA PIGS!!! Guinea Pigs are IMO the best small rodent. Chinchillas in a very close second. But Guinea pigs are very friendly if handled alot and bigger than a degus. I haven't had a degus but they need more care than a guinea pig. You just gotta feed/water/clean the cage/and love!!!

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm figuring even a guinea pig she'll have to feed, water, clean it's cage and love it. Are guinea pigs easier to hold then degus??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

I don't know anything about degus, but I do know lots about guinea pigs. I think she would need help taking care of guinea pigs from a parent, or maybe yourself. They are definitely lovable, but they are a lot of work if they are cared for properly.

Guinea pigs can be very costly. I found this out the hard way. I would not give my boys up for anything, but I am going broke!

Petstore guinea pig pellets are usually not good. Avoid colored bits and seeds at all costs.
The best pellets are from www.oxbowhay.com

Hay is also a must. Alfalfa is best for piggies under a year, and timothy is good for full grown piggies. A good, quality hay is important. Try oxbow hay (link above) or http://www.kmshayloft.com/index.html The shipping is worth it!

They should have fresh hay, pellets, and water 24/7.

Then, twice a day you should feed veggies. No iceburg lettuce! A good list can be found here: http://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#fave

Oh! Read this!! http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html Great info!!

For cages, bigger is always WAY better! www.cavycages.com These are the best cages ever! So easy to make, so easy to clean, and very cheap! Read everything on the site!

Also, piggies really shouldn't be alone. They are social creatures, and really enjoy the company of other piggies. BUT!! Definitely get a same-sex pair!! There are lots of homeless guinea pigs everywhere, and you don't want to add to the problem by making more babies.

On that same note....RESCUE!!! Try www.petfinder.com Or check your local shelters. Please save some homeless babies if you are going to get any!

Some other good sites are:
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/ These people know their cavies!

Also, be prepared to have some major vet bills if you get guinea pigs. A lot can go wrong, but I have been lucky so far. But I have a vet fund (over $500) in the bank put away for emergencies. But that really goes for all animals.

Also, guinea pigs will live for up to ten years. The average is probably 6-8 years. Will your sister still want them when she is 20? You really need to plan for the future with guinea pigs.

Do lots of reasearch with her so she knows about the responsibilities.
Above all: Don't suprise her!!! Pets as gifts are not a good idea!

It doesn't matter what temperature the room is. It's always room-temperature.
Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstyle you like.
Sad to think that when the letters 'WWF' are mentioned, most of us think of wrestlers, before the World Wildlife Fund...
The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, yeah, sounds like a lot of work, like a ferret or a rat. I have both and they are tons of work. She is 12 but ADHD so her maturity level is a few years behind. Maybe getting her something other then the dog she has isn't a good idea at this point!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

Yeah, sounds like she is not quite ready yet.
She can just enjoy your lovely pets for a few more years.

Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstyle you like.
Sad to think that when the letters 'WWF' are mentioned, most of us think of wrestlers, before the World Wildlife Fund...

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

yeah, she shows her dog, just got a blue ribbon at their local fair and gets to go to the state fair!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Tootie Gizzard-Tush!

Impressive! What kind of dog is it?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I think both are great pets. I used to have a mating pair of degus, and they are great, Degus aren't alot of work at all, the only thing with them is to watch their diet, mainly their sugar intake, as degus are a high diabetes factor. They require dust baths just like chinchillas, and mine used to run around in their ball on the floor all the time, the ball is like one you would use for a hamster. They love climbing and jumping around and would beg for their treats and even would come when their names were called, well Joon would benny still needed some work. Although when I got mine they were adults and weren't handled often so I really had to work with them, but when they had babies I was able to hold them from the beginning and get them used to being handled by people. If you ever decide to buy a degu becareful getting them from a pet store, as I found out the hard way that NOT all are educated in the proper caring of a degu, they would feed them regular hamster food and that is a big NO NO, as it would contain alot of nuts and corn which is very high in fat and also not good for degus. I just thought I would give the degu opinion from somebody that has owned them, as I see from above they gave their guinea pig opinions. Here are a few links to help you read up on degus Link 1
Link 2
and a web ring with various degu sites
Web Ring

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

How about a hamster for your sister?

~ Jodi ~

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

She had a hamster a few years ago and she had it in it's ball running around on the floor and it went down the stairs in the ball. Boy was that poor hammy freaked. She had a gerbil but it was vicious so she never held it, it eventually died, thank god, lol.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I agree with Navywife97.My granddughter can hold my degu's.They have never bitten her or me.They are in my opinion very curious and friendly.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:57 PM
still waiting for a title

It seems like animals are a good therapy for your sister. I know that it takes a lot of dedication to show a dog. What I would do with her until her birthday, is have her research and spend as much time as she can researching and learning about which animal she would want, either degus or guinea pigs.

On a Saturday, have her work on researching it for 10 minutes, the next weekend, work on it for 20 minutes, then 30 and so on.

Then by the time that her birthday comes around, she will figure out which pet she would want more, and also, she would condition herself to the understanding of taking care of them.

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Newborn Pup

Degus are easy to take care of. No harder than say the mice I breed for my Water Dragon. Diet is not a problem if you don't feed them things with sugar. Dust baths are actually fun, not a chore. It's great watching them roll around in it.

http://www.importpoweronline.com

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, hamster food, local shelter, pet store