Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Gooey eye. please help!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Toky-Ohki 
#1 ·
:(

My eldest Degu, Lucy hasnt been herself lately. We are sure that she is almost 5 years old and realise we dont have much time left with her, and we have just been trying to make her life as easy and fun as possible. This last week she has been very subdued, she wont come out of her cage for playtime and has to be coaxed to the cageside for treats. Then this morning when i went to say hello to Lucy and her two daughters (hodgie and podgie who live with her) i was shocked to see that her right eye was barley open and had white goo all around it. Is this just a common eye infection, and if so what would be the best treatment? Im worried that because she is a senior this could put too much stress on her little body and we will lose her. I just want Lucy to be happy and healthy and I know that if given the chance she could live another year or so quite happily. I appreciate any help you guys can give me, i have nowhere else to turn, there are no exotic vets in my province who deal with degus. Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
Aaaaawwwww i'm sorry to hear about poor Lucy :hugg2:

I would bathe her eye gently with a little cotton wool dampened in tepid water and see if this helps the eye to open. It sounds like she might have an infection or something has caught her in the eye. Was the white goo runny or dried? I would keep an eye on her and bathe it for a day or two and if there are no signs of improvement then i would try and find a vet who could maybe take a look and help :)

#3 ·
Yes it is possible something may have got under her eyelid, a piece of bedding or straw.

* nods * if you can clean her eye up, if it comes back you will have to take her to the vet if it is an infection.

Nash-eokemy late dwarf lop had a permanent weeping eye, but my friends guinea pig was found to have a pice of hay stuck in here eye lid, I suppose it could happen to a degu too.

Reactions: Phawn
#4 ·
Thanks so much guys :)

I've just given Lucy an eye wash and I will be watching her closely. It wasn't dry when I washed her eye, but the weeping seems to have stopped for now. I worry about her so much I would hate to lose such a wonderful pet before her time. She was our first small animal, and although we now have many more (chinchillas, sugar gliders, gerbils..) Lucy gets as much love and attention as the day we got her. I hope this clears up :(.

Thanks again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.