Grey degus! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Grey degus!

Just found this site. I didn't know there were other colors!
http://www.gerbil-info.nl.com/degu.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The degus natural colour is the brown tweedy colour we see them in today but with the wonders of science and gene mutation we will bound to be able to see them in every colour possible like we have with hamsters, mice and rats its only time. I have read an article before on degu colour mutations and i have also read that there are two different species of degus and i think the other is a lot lighter than what we keep as pets so could come down to that as well. Very very cute all the same

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 02-08-2005 at 05:44 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 PM

Red face

I have read about the different species of degus before and also that they come in a variety of different colours.. They look cute whatever colour they are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had read about that as well, it's very interesting. I can't wait until they have all the color mutations like with hamsters and gerbils . I want a blonde degu!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 AM

yeah, i've seen pictures of white degus! they are cute too!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have to say i personally prefer degus in the natural colour as i don't like the idea of there being genetic modification in there to produce new colourings but they still look cute but give me my tweedy brown degus anyday

Kirsty

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I like the agouti too, but I thought it was interesting. Do you think people did something to make them grey? I was guessing it was a natural mutation (though to continue it there could likely be some inbreeding involved) .
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't down to science that they have created a new colouring although genetic throw backs are common in most species so could be possible for a gene mutation and for a grey degu to be produced but i personally think that would be fairly unlikey. If a grey degu was a throw back and it was bred with a normal coloured degu i don't think the offspring would be grey though as it would be a recessive gene to the normal degu colour so it would be more than likely any offspring that was produced would be the normal tweedy brown colour. And in the picture there was more than 1 grey degu so makes me think

Kirsty

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Here is the white degu.

http://www.degus.org/english/fotk.as...to&FotoAlbum=5

And here is a "blue".

http://www.degus-online.de/blue.htm

And a gold one; I bet this is the other species.

http://www.degus-online.de/sandfarbig_english.htm

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

So i was right what i said about inbreeding and it being a recessive gene so wouldn't be a dominant colouring or seen very often, i knew having an a level in biology would come in handy oneday It states in the both articles that the degus with different colourings were ill of health and not as strong as agouti coloured degus so goes to show that messing with nature is ill advised ok they might look pretty but i'd rather have normal healthy degus over any pretty fur colouring of pattern anyday! I personally think its a great shame that the human race has to mess with things such as an animals coat colouring in order to create perfection at the expense of an animasl health maybe thats just the sort of society we have become

Kirsty

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Agreed - I feel really sad that people talk about "achieving" colors in the chin community... it's not your achievement, it's the mama chin's! It seems really strange to me that some kinds are seen as being so much more desirable than others - they're lovely friends no matter what color their coat is. It's not right to risk the health of the animals for aesthetics. I just thought other degu people would find it interesting to see them...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes i totally agree they are very interesting and highlight a problem area

Kirsty

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Red face

I agree with Kirsty (Amethystbelle), but the blue ones look lovely!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think they all look beautiful especially the white ones but as does any creature its just a shame that by creating these beautiful colourings we are sacrificing the animals health

Kirsty

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
red

i want a grey Degu, male, to mate with my lil girls. Anyone in Suffolk Uk who has a free and single male (any colour), let me know pleeeaaaasssseeee