Group Bonding Info Wanted - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Group Bonding Info Wanted

Like the title says, I'm looking for information on Degu bonding, and not just one to another one, but one group to another group.

I am very experienced in gerbil bonding and understand that it's easier to bond one to another one, while a group can be near impossible depending on the animal.

A while back I had recommendations to add Degu's to my pair, saying they live better in bigger groups, and it would help with the over grooming Bruce was doing to George.

Anyways, I'm looking for hints, tips and experiance from others, whether you bonded just one to another or one to a pair, or two groups.

I have two Males, they are younger, Under 4 years old. There are three males who will be coming into foster care with me, and if it works out and they can be incorporated into my boys group then I will adopt all three.
If it doesn't work out, then I foster them until they are adopted.

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM

I've only ever introduced Degus 1 on 1. We do have some more experienced Degu keepers here though that might be able to help.

I know a nice lady in the UK who does Degu rescue too, and she might even have some advice for group intros on her website. I'll post the link:

http://www.freepowerboards.com/degurock/portal.php

She comes here too, and I'm sure there are others here too with "group" experience. I'm so glad you'll be able to foster these boys at the very least!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually a member of that site also

How did you start with your intro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've always introduced as a group but kind of delayed. I don't put them all together at once...I make sure there's a gap between degus. It's worked really well for me but I have females which are easier to introduce . You might be better off trying it one-on-one.

I always introduce in a neutral area like a bathtub and I'll usually have boxes or something to offer some hiding spots/distractions. I also have a dust bath available with fresh chinchilla dust (adding vanilla extract is a good idea). Having all of the degus bathe in the same dust bath beforehand is helpful as is mixing the bedding from both cages and keeping the enclosures next to each other .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up

hi
i am currently doing the same thing i had two males mario and sonic 4 and a half months old and i have just got two more males rincey and conker 6 weeks old
thanks to all the great advice from everyone here i am hopeful that this is possible.
i have started of by spliting the original very large cage making it possible for each group to see each other and have each other in their environment without fear of harm.
on the first day mario and sonic had a real fight (not very nice) but it ended quickly and i feel it was because they felt threatened by the new arrivals. there has been plenty of comunication from all groups, i have learnt that you can tell alot from their body language.
i have swapped each groups bedding over which one of the older ones went and inspected straight away then ran up to the babies, so they new what i had done.
i will be introducing them on neutral ground and only for a short time if all goes well i will gradually make the introductions longer.
i have heard vanilla essence in their sand bath is a good idea as they all will smell the same, i think it will be just a case of time and patience but the results will be worth it.
good luck please keep me informed as we can swap intro stories and hopefully all will go well for us.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

just wanted to let you know i just had all 4 of my boys out together in the hall and it went great
there were a few little tiffs nothing major and it was after about 15 minutes but there was no proper fighting i have put them back in their cage seperately as i dont want to rush things but it was lovely seeing them all running around together
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Stephanie and Emma, that's some great info.
The new boys have not arrived yet, and they are already 2 weeks over due.
I'm thinking of using a large rabbit cage I have an splitting it down the middle having each group on each side. This way they are all in new territory, and when I have them bonded I can move them into my brand new built cage. Then it's no one in particulars house.

I'm excited to hear more about your progress Emma, It's great to learn from others who have done the same thing already.
With gerbils you change the animals over in the split multiple times a day, I may try that, though switching over the bedding may be easier then catching all the degus and then switching them over
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Adolescent Pup

just had the boys out together again, i think that after the first meeting it is important to continue meetings every day.
there were loads of squabbles between mario and conker the two more playful of the groups but it was not serious fighting so i decided to let them stick it out.
i think it went well again
we used to let mario and sonic out in the hall as it was a good way for them to bond with us so the babies are getting to bond with us aswell as mario and sonic.
they do this thing where they sniff each others bottoms and the one being sniffed will raise their rear to allow this behaviour which i am pretty sure is submisive behaviour so a good sign.
and the older ones will get ontop of the babies and sort of groom them its just their way of saying im incharge they do it to each other.
the squabbles can be noisy but they aren't real fights it does seem to be all about sorting out who is boss you will just have to make sure they the tiffs don't get out of hand.
its nice to see them together but i am still limiting time so as not to over do things.
mario and sonic did have a real fight the first day conker and rincey arrived but it was over before it started i think it was just a shock to suddenly have new degus in their home.
hope yours arrive soon and hope it goes well for you
message me anytime
emma x
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

They're Here

They are HERE!

My new boys are here, and I am SO glad I decided to take them in, even before meeting them. These three are in awful shape I was heartbroken to see their missing and hairless tails, they are small too, I'm thinking stunted from past neglect.

Now, I've just moved them into my 50G aquarium until the bonding process is able to start and they move into the new cage we're building. I didn't have much to set them up with yet, but their temporary habitat will change as the week goes on, anything is better then the HAMSTER CAGE they were in
I went out looking for a big wheel today, and found nothing. I'm going to see if anyone has one I can borrow. (In other words don't bother with rude posts about what I should and should not have, thank you.)

They have been munching hay, and are very friendly once they are used to me being there. I'm going to work with them each day to get them tamed, but so far I am very happy with their friendliness.

Anyways, some pictures

Sad tails

One more look at this guys....

Pink nose, pink ears, white face, lightened legs, pink/lightened tail, white testicles, white and lightening on his back.
Had anyone else seen anything like him?

I'm thinking some sorta gene has mutated to become this beautiful colouring, as his skin is actually pink. His eyes are still black, as well as his nails and such, so I don't think albino, but then I don't know!
Just the pink skin to me seems to rule out damage from neglect. What do you think?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats, I'm glad you were able to take them in! Good luck with bonding!

The boy with the white face is really adorable! That's really interesting, I haven't seen a degu like that in person.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM

That is really unusual marking on the one guy. Probably is just a gene mutation, there are some folks experimenting with white, grey or blue Degus, but it makes sense to think that every once in a while, nature does it on her own.

I said it somewhere else already, but wanted to say it again - I'm really glad you took these guys. They need somebody who knows more about them. You can even see on their little noses that they were probably chewing the bars of their old cage. Poor little guys.

I hope the intros go smoothly! Sometimes letting them out to play in a neutral area - like the hallway, or a bathtub - is a great way to let them do a meet and greet. I've read some people suggest giving them all a dust bath with dust scented with vanilla essential oil - then when they meet they all smell familiar.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

oh my they are sooooooooooooooo cute i am sure they are very happy to have found you bless them i hope the intros go well for you all all of mine had moved in together within a fortnight but i just think i was very lucky i never expected it to be that soon but once it is done it is just so rewarding when i see them all cuddled up together its like they were never apart so i hope it goes just as well for you too
you have done such a kind thing and they will never forget that keep us updated
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

Oh they are so cute! They are very fortunate that you were able to take them in. I hope the bonding with our other goos will go well. I can't believe they were kept in a hamster cage! You're right, even an aquarium tank is a huge improvement! When they move to the new cage they will feel like they're in this degu-disneyland!

The tails are so sad...but at least is seems like they still have a substantial parts left. I've seen pictures of degus with shorter tails.

The coloring on that one guy is so interesting. First I was thinking half-albino but that's not right since the eyes are still black. I agree that it's probably some sort of gene mutation. How unique though! Pink ears!

They all seem to have very curious eyes and noses! I hope they'll get used to living with you and your other degus soon!

Michelle and Karolína

RIP Skippy, I will love you forever!

Tags
dust bath, hamster cage, rabbit cage