Hay Opinion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hay Opinion

I usually get timothy hay in the pet stores. Which is various brands. I had to order degu food online, our local stores do not sell it. Well I saw that Oxbow had a great sale on hay, so I got the biggest bag, Western Timothy. I finally got around to opening it up after using up the last of the great store sale hay. I must say that I am not impressed with it.

I feed hay to my rabbits and degu twice a day. Usually there are hay debris left behind of course but with Oxbow it seems to be most of the hay. It is much greener than what I usually get which I thought was a good thing. (even greener than the store bought Oxbow) But it seems that either the rabbits and degus dont like it or there is a lot of waste product or something. I cleaned the cages and I threw away a lot of hay.

Anyone else use Oxbow and if so do you like it? I bought some before when it was on sale and they consumed most of it. Maybe its this particular type of Oxbow, I dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have degu's but I have rabbits and a few years back I used exclusively Oxbow hay. I ended up deciding not to use it anymore because for quite awhile I was consistently getting what I considered to be pretty poor quality hay from my Oxbow orders. I'm allergic to timothy hay so the really dusty hay was really doing a number on my allergies.

I get my hay online and now use mostly Sweet Meadow Farms and/or Kleenmama's hayloft hays.

Hay can be kind of hit or miss sometimes no matter what brand you use, but in general I do like the brands I use now. Once in awhile I'll get an order that's dustier than I would like but so far it hasn't given me any major allergy attacks like the Oxbow use to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had the same issue with Oxbow (with both my degus and rabbits) so I switched to Sweet Meadow Farm. Besides the occasional dusty batch, I've been happy with it .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you very much. I will check out Sweat Meadow Farms. The rabbits are nibbling but not with enthusiasum right now. Its a pretty big bag. The degus at least play in it, so I might save it for them for floor time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I must thank you guys again. I love what I see at the Sweet Meadow site. I will place my order in two weeks.

Tags
hay