Help With Daddy Degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help With Daddy Degu

Our degu Squirt had 5 little babies 3 days ago. Immediately, we took the male degu out of the cage to prevent a breedback. This morning when we tried to put him back in with the mom and babies, he kept trying to suck on the mom's teats, and when he wasn't doing that he was chasing the babies around and grabbing them by the tail. Is this normal? We put him back in his cage for now. Please help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Also, he keeps trying to "hump" her, is it that she CAN'T get pregnant, or he's not supposed to "hump" her?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:55 PM

I would keep him out for a few more days, till the babies are a bit bigger.. She can get pregnant again pretty soon, so I would keep them separate..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would definately keep them seperated for a while longer and also if your not looking to breed again maybe keep them seperated permanently and keep a few of the girls with mum and the boys with dad or you could get dad neutered if you wasn't planning to breed again!? Most books and websites you read do say its safe for him to go back after 3 days but if your worried i would keep him out longer, the humping behaviour could just simply be because he has actually missed her and not because he's trying to mate and the beahviour with the babies could be over eager parenting or maybe a little aggression as he's been on his own, if he was to go back in you would definately need to keep an eye on him

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input girls . I think I'm going to put him in to visit a few times a day and watch him then. Maybe he'll loosen up and be more gentle with the babies. If he starts being good I'll let him stay with her and the babies. I really don't want to keep them seperate for much longer as shes chewing her cage to shreds trying to get to him lol. We'll see how this works out Thanks again!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Well, after a day observing him, we decided to keep him in there with her and the babies. They're doing great, and Nibbles is helping out a lot with the babies by keeping them warm. I'm glad things worked out! Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:54 PM

So glad its working out.. Cant wait to see some pics...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy New questions about Daddy Degu

Now that Squirt is almost done nursing the babies, I separated Nibbles from the babies and mother again. I'm starting to get worried about him being alone because he'ss starting to look depressed and he just sits around all day looking sad. I try to give him attention but it seems like he doesn't want me to bug him.

Somtimes I put the 2 little boy degus in the cage with him (they will be his cagemates in a couple weeks), but he just runs from them.

I've also been putting him in the room that the mom and babies are in (we have them in a room because the babies can escape from the cages). When he is in the room the babies are jumping all over him and riding on his back and they won't leave him alone and he just runs to me for me to save him from the babies by picking him up.

It seems like he's becoming withdrawn Should I put him in with all of the babies (to visit), or will it be too stressful for him? Should I continue to put the boys in his cage to visit, or just wait until they're ready to leave the mom?

Any advice would be good, or even an opinion. Thanks guys

Last edited by kandy; 09-14-2005 at 02:12 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Well when I separated my little Jimmy from his mum and sisters he became a bit depressed to. Have you tried keeping them in cages near each other? Maybe keep the 2 boys in with him aswell.. Just remember that he will want to mate with the mummy one and when the girls are older them too! So maybe get him used to not being with them..
Good luck and keep us informed!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I can't put the boys in his cage yet because they can get through the bars still Right now I have them in the sunroom (degu proof of course), until they get a little bigger. I could try putting his cage in there with them, and the babies could go in and out of the cage freely, but wouldn't that be torture for him? Seeing the mom and the babies running around freely and he's stuck in a cage?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

If I put him in that room with the babies, the girls could get in too. What age can they get pregnant? I'd hate for that to accidently happen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 PM

That wouldnt be fair for daddy.. Is there no way you can stop the babies getting out of his cage?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

We tried at the beginning to keep them in the cage by putting cardboard around the shelves and lower parts of the cage, but now when I let them in to visit him they climb all the way up the cage (about 3 feet) and climb out the top. I would have to cover it completely.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Umm, I am stuck now with suggestions.. From experience I remember Jimmy being so lonely, and all I could do was give him loads of hugs..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I've been doing that a lot but he's still sad I just hope the babies grow fast! I'm thinking in a week or so they should be big enough, hopefully. I just wish there was something I could do now. Thanks for your help PurpleBunny.