help i think my degu is ill - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

help i think my degu is ill

one of my four degus marcos has recently been emmiting a strange gooey substance from his nose and has developed a bald patch next to his mouth. can someone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He needs vet care. Find a vet that has experience with degus (or at least one with small animal experience).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

is this common? im away over the weekend so will he be okay? or do i need to come back and take him to the vet straight away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxk View Post
is this common? im away over the weekend so will he be okay? or do i need to come back and take him to the vet straight away
The bald patch thing isn't common and the gooey stuff might be an upper respiratory infection . I would get someone to take him to the vet for you and if no one can, I would recommend going back so you can. Degus can be rather hardy creatures but once they're showing symptoms, they can go downhill fast. Thankfully, they usually respond very well to vet care . Is he still like that today?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

luckily it seems to have cleared up the bald patch has disappeared and the gooey substance seems to have cleared up too... could it have just bee a temporary thing? the goo used to re apear every time i wiped it in the next hour or so tho now its totaly gone...... i think we may have had a lucky escape though i will keep a close eye on Marco from now on. thanks for the help anyway
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Adolescent Pup

could one of the degus just have been grooming his face? like was it wet or an actual gew
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxk View Post
luckily it seems to have cleared up the bald patch has disappeared and the gooey substance seems to have cleared up too... could it have just bee a temporary thing? the goo used to re apear every time i wiped it in the next hour or so tho now its totaly gone...... i think we may have had a lucky escape though i will keep a close eye on Marco from now on. thanks for the help anyway
Sometimes they do recover on their own, sounds like you got lucky .

~Stephanie