Help! My baby fell into water :[ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy Help! My baby fell into water :[

I let my gus play in the bathroom and an area that enters into it. Mori my 2 month old baby is always climbing on everything and trying to escape. I noticed he was being quieter than normal so i went into the bathroom and found him in the toilet :[

He hadn't made any squeaks or anything so i had no idea he was in there. I had just checked on them less than 5minutes ago so i know he wasn't in for too long but he was soaked. He let me pick him up (unusual for him) and i now have him in a small towel and am trying to dry him. He isn't making any noise, he's staying very still and he is shaking. He is still breathing but i have no idea what to do :[ i feel so awful i i didn't even think to close the lid, he never has jumped up there before.

What should i do?

UPDATE: He is dried off and seems much better now. He is running around like normal and accepted a treat. He is even letting Edgar help groom him. If he is starts shaking again in the morning i'm taking him to a vet.

Last edited by TellTaleHeart; 11-08-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

bringing him to the vet might be the best idea, although he might be just very scared, a vet check wouldnt be a bad idea.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

That was my first thought, but it's late here and all the vets are closed. I think the nearest emergency one is 45 mins away and they only do cats and dogs. Well he seems to be back to normal now that he's dried off. He accepted treats and is scampering about so i think he is okay. I was just freaking out :[ Poor little guy. I know from now on that lid needs to be down, ugh i feel so guilty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Zoo Keeper

My advice is dont leave them unsupervised for play time anymore esp something as fragile as a degu. I am really glad he is doing better.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yep he's going to be hawkeyed from now on lol. And here i thought i 'gu-proofed' the bathroom.

Edit: Also i should add he is totally fine now. He must have just been scared silly last night. He is adventurous and ornery as ever lol

Last edited by TellTaleHeart; 11-08-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Addition
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ah, yeah, it's a hard lesson to learn but a good one...always close the lid . He was just scared, getting wet isn't going to seriously harm a degu if they're kept warm and dried off . They're hardy critters.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
water degu