Help! My Degus are becomming Nocturnal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help! My Degus are becomming Nocturnal

Chichu and Sunshine are becomming nocturnal. when i baught them last week they were daiurnal (sry dnt know how to spell it). I am there mostly during the day aswell as i pay the most attention to them during the day but recently they rather stay up all night and chew... origionally they were chewing on their ramp to get upstairs to their food and they have practically distroyed it so i have taken it out at night time in hopes that they will just go to sleep cause they have nothing to eat... but then they go and start eating their cage. I really dont know what to do, and because their circadium rythems are easily shaped does anybody have any tips on how to make them daiurnal (to be awake around my schedule)????
I appreciate the help!
Thanks in Advance,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

When do you let them out and for how long? Also, when do you feed them?

They should adapt to your schedule once they are used to being taken out and fed during the daytime.

Also, I like to let my degu run around before bedtime so she wears herself out. That always helps . I would try to play games with yours that use a lot of energy so they get tired.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Thats the problem.... firstly they havent gained enough trust in me to let them out... and second of all... when you say to feed them... do u mean to say i shouldnt be leaving their food in their cage for the day so that they can eat when they are hungry???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've had a degu become nocturnal before as he was kept alone (his choice he hated other degus) and i kept the hamster near him and because the hamster was up at night he decided to change his pattern too. Degus unlike a lot of other animals can break their natural rythym and become nocturnal which is kinder unique in a way

Are they up all night or just some of it? I know my guys stay up sometimes into the night but come early morning (say 2ish) they are all tucked fast asleep in their hammocks. Are they up and about in the day? Do they have a wheel? Do they have a run out of the cage? Sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to get a picture to see if we can come up with anything to help

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle

Are they up all night or just some of it? I know my guys stay up sometimes into the night but come early morning (say 2ish) they are all tucked fast asleep in their hammocks. Are they up and about in the day? Do they have a wheel? Do they have a run out of the cage? Sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to get a picture to see if we can come up with anything to help

they stay up til around 3ish and then they wake up at 7am.... than they will be up for most of the morning and then crash and sleep the remainder of the day unless i make loud noises (like cooking dinner or watching tv) They have a wheele but they do not quite understand what it is for.... not yet atleast... they use it to bury food under so noone can get to it but them. I have not yet let them run out of the cage becuase i cant catch them, they dont really wanna be touched.... they will only touch me if they come to me first. I dont know what to do. .again. help!
Ryan
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would just leave the cage open so they can come out on their own rather then trying to catch them. Degus don't like to feel restrained and that's a good way to get scratched/bitten by a new degu.

Bribe them with treats like dried carrot slices and nuts (but only very small amounts).

As for leaving pellets in constantly that depends more on the degus. Some will over-eat so you should only feed those degus a certain amount every day. Other people leave the food in all the time. But that's not exactly what I was talking about...I meant more when they are fed treats and their salad (degus should be fed fresh vegetables). Of course they should always have timothy hay, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 AM

my degus go to sleep around 8pm wake up for an hour around 11pm and then they wake up around 4 to 5 am and sleep again at 7am
so there are a few hours in the night that they get up and run on thier wheels..... but they are up alot alot during the day. the have spurts of awakeness at night wierd. but then again maybe all degus are like this... the fact that i have insomnia makes me have the ability to map out thier schedule cause im awake alot of nights lol

Tags
timothy hay