Help needed with a new Degu. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Help needed with a new Degu.

Hi, this is my first post and am hoping that someone can help, i had 2 degus and sadly one of them died 2 nights ago, knowing that degus get depressed on their own i found someone local who was selling their degus
i introduced her to the old degu and they seemed to get on ok apart from the dominence bit. anyway, all the new degu seems to do is sit in the corner until anyone goes near her then she will find another corner.
the woman i got her from was keeping 4 degus in a tiny hamster cage without toys and none looked like they were handled often. would love to have taken them all but 3 were boys so obviously she could be pregnant. anyway, my question is, is this normal behaviour? is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable in her new home?
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. I would get her checked out by a vet. If she's sick you'll want to know asap so your current degu doesn't catch it!

Even new degus are usually fairly active although it's possible that she's just scared because of the neglect she suffered. Are there hiding places available?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice, there are a lot of hiding places for her, she is now spending a lot of time in the tunnel or the hammock. i set up the camcorder last night and found that she is coming out when everyone is in bed, she's a completely different degu when nobody is watching. so am guessing she must be just scared of people. any ideas on how to get her friendly?
thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just give her time and let her come to you when she's ready . Talk to her, offer her treats, sit with her during playtime, etc. Just don't pick her up yet or anything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
degus, new home