help please NO PET STORES HAVE THE RIGHT degu food!?!?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
What the shell! :)

help please NO PET STORES HAVE THE RIGHT degu food!?!?!

Hello, I haven't been on here in a while because I just moved to South Western Pa, I'm going to vet tech school and I love it but anyway I have 2 degus and I know what they can eat and can't eat...I can't even find guinea pig food here without all the sugar, and corn. Does anyone know any food that is sold anywhere that I can get that doesn't have all the molasses and corn and bad stuff for my goos, the stores around here are pet supplies plus, PetCO and PetSmart there are more but I haven't found them yet I"m sure...or any good foods for other "rodents" that would be good for them. Thanks A BUnch!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
our lil family
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM

Have you checked your local stores for acceptable Chinchilla pellets? Those are also a good food for Degus, so maybe check for those.

My only other idea is - what were you feeding them before? Maybe go online and try to find a place to buy your previous food on the internet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM

All I can think of is ordering online... See if you can find one of the safe brands you've fed in the past and order that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree have a look online that might be the simplest solution

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Rodentologist

There may be a few places that sell high quality guinea pig pellets, depending on what part of OH you're in. There is a guinea pig rescue in OH, and I know they feed the Oxbow cavy pellets.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The last time i checked oxbow cavy pellets they contained mollasses so might be worth checking out whether they do or not?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle View Post
The last time i checked oxbow cavy pellets they contained mollasses so might be worth checking out whether they do or not?
Yeah, they do. Not the best food for degus IMO because of that.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Rodentologist

Though I realize that Oxbow guinea pig food may not be appropriate for your degu, stores that generally carry Oxbow will also tend to carry other high quality products, so searching for stores that carry Oxbow may give you more buying options.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 AM

well, what ever you do, just keep looking The stores in my area tend to add and take away different brands every month, so far only 1 or two brands of the guinea pig food I've seen don't have molasses, and ALL the chin foods do.

Tags
chinchilla pellets, guinea pig, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, guinea pig rescue, pet supplies, pig food, vet tech