Help poorly Degu :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Help poorly Degu :(

I own four male degu brothers who are now three years old. They have always been in fine help. They are fed on pets at home degu pellets and have plenty of wood and chewing objects in their cage to keep their teeth down. Three weeks ago (a week before I went on holiday for a fortnight) one of my degus started giving a little sneeze every now and again. It has just turned really cold and I didnt think much of it. He was active, eating and tearing around like a loony as per normal. When I returned from holiday at the beginning of this week (my grandad looked after them) I noticed his condition had gone down hill. My grandad told me he had been taking forever to eat. If he gave them each a treat the poorly degu was still nibbling and trying to lick the first whilst the others had four or five already! I got him home and quickly realised he wasn't well. His eyes are half shut, perhaps his face is a little swollen? He appears unable to eat and is audibly "weeazing" his breathing detoriates once he has eaten and when he is stressed. realising how snuffly he was and that breathing was a struggle I wisked him down the vets on firday night who said his lungs where very conjested and started him on antibiotics. As for the eating the prime suspect is his teeth. She checked his front teeth as I had which appear fine. She attempted to view the back teeth with an ear thing but the he was getting distressed and this was effecting him breathing. In light of this she left me to give him antibiotics twice a day saying he should show improvement in two/ three days. He is now booked to go back tomorrow evening. His breathing is if anything only fractionally better and he is still not eating and perhaps is attempting to eat even less now! The vets plan of action was once the chest infection had improved to anestatise him and check his teeth. I'm worried that if anything he is going down hill. He started his antibotics frieday evening so based on two doses a day he will have effectivly had four days worth by tommorrow morning and it hasn't touched it yet Not looked good. Any ideas/ experience/ advice?? x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'd feed him Critical Care (available at some stores and vet offices) by syringe and keep him hydrated. As for the teeth, you'll have to see what the vet says.

Good luck, I hope he pulls through! Is the vet experienced with rodents such as degus?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

degu update: been back to the vets and he's is down from 0.20kg to 0.18kg which he's lost in the last three days. He has very few options but I have booked him into the vets on Friday to be anestatised and have his teeth inspected on the slim chance it's something minor. He is on anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories until Friday. He is also on critical control feed. If they find nothing on Friday sadly he will be put to sleep. Not looking good x x

Tags
degu, infections, poorly, teeth, vet