Help! pregnancy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Question Help! pregnancy!

hey guys, i've come for your expert advice! i've got 3 Degu (Singh, Kairi and Nausicaa) all female i've had them around two months now and i think Singh might be pregnant!
she's gotten bigger, made a nest, and started getting more aggresive.
i've never had a pregnant animal before, and although i've done a lot of research (thank you paw talk =D) i'm still a rookie,
is there anything i need to get for her or her possible babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

be prepared to get an extra cage just incase she and the other degu start fighting alot, seeing as if she is pregnant it might cause her to lose some of the babies. she will need someplace to bring the babies that she thinks is safe enough (about 75 degrees F, and somewhat dark).

She will want to bring some kind of hammock or fabric tunnel that you have into there probably, so it would be a good idea to take an old shirt and cut out a big square (8x8 to 10x10)

Other than that it just comes down to not holding her a whole ton and try not letting her run on her wheel quite as much as normal. ALSO remember to move the babies to the lowest level if she gives birth on an upper floor. we dont want any falls now

best of luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

hello
the other female goos should help her raise her pups its best to act as if she is pregnant dont pick her up at all and dont handle the pups until they are about 3 weeks old as it can harm them just make sure mom is comfy and has food water etc and she will do the rest make sure that the babies cant fall of anything and most of all enjoy them and post loads of pics lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

As with what IfIWasAHamster said, keep the other girls in there (But be 100% sure they ARE girls) They will be very helpful to the mom. And don't hold her anymore since it could end up hurting the 'cookies in the oven' as I called them when my girl was pregnant. I would also give the mom some calcium blocks and stick a little alfalfa hay in there (along with the regular timothy hay and any other kind you give them) so the mom can keep her strength. Make sure all places little baby goos can fit through is blocked, so none of them can fall. They will begin walking around pretty much the day they are born.

And, also, be sure to post pictures!
Good luck! ^-^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Binky; 08-31-2008 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys i shredded an old shirt like kokuhaku14 said, she loved it, lined her nest with it within seconds! and i'm going to grab some alfalfa tomorrow.
sorry to throw more questions at you but, should i be feeding moma Singh more? or is that going to cause health problems? and a lot of people mention taking the wheel out once they're born, which i'm ready to do, but when is it safe to put the wheel back??
thanks again for all you're support guys! i'll make sure to keep you posted! (with pic's )
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

i would say it would be safe to put the wheel back in at around the time you can safely handle the babies. so 3 weeks ish.

as for feeding her more i would give her a little more but dont over-do it. it would be a good idea to put a little mineral tab in her water too. mineral tabs are good to give degus every once in awhile but not all the time and a calcium block would be good for her too. you might want to try getting her some extra little snacks (veggies of course) becasue 1. it will make her feel better as she wont be able to do a whole ton without the wheel and probably wont run around a lot and 2. the vitamins are good for her. hope the helps
Nate

Tags
degus, pregnancy