Help! Starving degu won't take syringe! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help! Starving degu won't take syringe!

I have 2 5 year old brothers. Due to lack of experience I spoiled them very early on. Duster is fine, eating, chewing, running. Dugas is not. A few months ago he stopped chewing and developed dental issues, which led to respiratory problems. I took him to an exotic animals vet that gave me anti-biotics and when they failed to work recommended euthanasia. I am reluctant to do this as I do not plan on owning more degus. I am out of the house all but 4 waking hours a day whiich leaves little time for them. One alone would be heartbroken.

So I started Dugas on simethicone yesterday, and I have the vet researching albuterol nebulizers, but she is on vacay next week and Dugas has stopped eating. Even his fave unhealthy treats like raisins and banana chips. This morning I tried boiled sweet potato and moistened alfalfa pellets. Duster munched away happily, even cooing. Dugas wouldn't touch it. He won't take it from a syringe. His medicine I have to drop into his mouth from above while he is wrapped up, and I am at my wits end. Please help me feed my starving buddy!

I am going to get him some critical care but know very little about it. Do they have a liquid? I cannot insert a syringe into his mouth.

Last edited by Bagel; 11-19-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: After thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I suggest I bring him to another small animal vet

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Do you have anyone that could help you? I usually wrap them up tight in a towel with just the head poking out so it's easier. I'm able to do it alone but it'll be much easier for you if someone can hold him while you syringe feed.

Critical Care is mixed with water to make a slurry and so adding more water would make it have a more liquid consistency.

Did the vet check to see if Dugas is diabetic? If they had been eating things like raisins and banana chips that's a very real possibility.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have tried twice to reply and am having trouble with the site.

Sorry this is so short but I can't write a huge thing and lose it everytime.

My vet is the only one in my area. Trust me, I've looked. She is good and has lots of chinchilla experience. Just none with degus. I trust her diagnosis just not her treatment. I feel Dugas would want to keep going for Duster.

My fiance can help me but it stresses Dugas out to have the two of us on top of him. SoI try to do it alone.

I am fairly certain he doesn't have diabetes. There was never any weight gain and he doesn't have any eye trouble except an occasional weeping.

Thanks for the critical care info. I am going to get some but for now the simethicone is working well and he is eating again. I think he was just too full of air to want to eat.

I also want to say that raisins and banana chips have never been a daily treat. Mostly they get sesame treats, pumpkin seeds and peanuts. At most once a week I pull out the sweet stuff. Until recently. Now they are seniors and if Dugas isn't long for this world they can have what happiness together I can provide.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's recommended that raisins and banana chips are not fed at all which is why I asked. Even as seniors (remember that plenty of degus live for more than 5 years, with some even reaching 10) I wouldn't feed sugary foods.

I'm glad to hear he's eating . If you can get it, the Critical Care would still be handy as it'll help get his metabolism and weight back to normal. It's also a great thing to have on hand for emergencies.

Is the site logging you out or something? Make sure your browser settings allow cookies for Paw-Talk .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
degu, dental, respiratory, starving, won't eat