Hi! :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi! :D

I just signed up here today.. mostly for my newest pets, my degus We got a pair of females... CoCo and Caramel. I know more about my hamster and all about my kitties but the degus are something new. I'll have to get some pictures when they let me lol.

I was reading back on the thread about treats -- When one mentions oats -- do you mean as in oats like the oats in boxes of oatmeal? lol sorry if that sounds silly. I've done reading online but sometimes it's easier to absorb info when you're interactive with the info providers

So besides Oats, I've gathered the following for good treats. Anything else anyone would care to add?

Nuts
sugar-free cereals
carrot slices
dried corn
dandelion leaves

Also, any pieces of advice for new degu owners? The girls are skittish right now. When you put your hand in the cage they run away, but when you get ahold of them they don't try to bite. Coco likes to run up my hubby's arm and hide her face in the crook of his elbow as soon as he takes her out. Hopefully after a little time they will more enjoy being handled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Welcome!
Sorry I don't know much about degus though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome!

When I say "oats", I just mean regular rolled oats, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Mill-Orga...8715167&sr=1-3

Just remember to seriously limit treats. A good degu diet consists of a high-quality degu pellet (such as Sun Seed Sunscription), unlimited grass hay, and fresh vegetables/herbs/flowers daily . Treats should be a very rare thing.

Let them come to you rather than grab them. Put the cage down in a degu-proofed room (a bath tub also works if you're nervous about them running off) and open it. Sit nearby and allow them to come and go as they want. Then talk softly and offer food--but don't try to pick them up. I usually don't pick degus up right away and if needed, I scoop them up with a container.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."