Hi, I'm new - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Hi all, I should introduce myself. My name is Staci, I'm 16, in high school, long time rat owner and brand new Degu owner. I decided to join this message board because, well, I don't know that much about Degus. Just what I've read online, but you guys can probably give me first hand experiences. I adopted them as a pair from the Michigan Humane Society. Who knows, they could have been abused or ignored at their old home. They're two years old.

Here's a picture of my little darlings...

So yesterday I went out and bought them a very expensive very tall chincilla cage. I hope they're happy. I'm getting them a dust bath today. Leave it in for 30 min, right? Their names are Chachi and Paco. Hey, their from Chile, right? I thought I should give them Spanish names. Anyways, their very shy right now, and don't like being picked up. The only way I can get them out is coaxing them into a cup (they really like their cup now) I don't want to force anything on them and scar them for life. My question is, will they ever be friendly to me? I know they are recently domesticated and still wild, and I know they're not cuddlers, but will they ever come to me? Poke their nose out when I walk by? I've been using Kale to get them to come to me, and they like that. I'm not expecting them to be rats, I know they will never be rats, but will they get over this initial shyness. If they don't, thats fine, they are very entertaining as it is, I love watching them. I just want to know what to expect.

Yesterday they would beep or squeek when I walked into the room and talked to them (they're in my bed room) I know it's cuz they were scared. Today they are more active, and warbleing while they are grooming each other, so thats good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 PM

To PT. I'm sure you'll love it here and you'll get lots of help.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 PM

Congrats on your new additions, they're very cute!

To answer your question, yes, they will eventually come to you and they can be really social once they're comfortable in their new environment. It just take a little time and patients to earn their trust.

I'm sure amethystbelle will have great advice for you

You can find good info on her degu site: Degu Rock

Last edited by kandy; 02-06-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Title Thief Victim

Hi and WELCOME to PT! you will get all the information you need here!

I don't know anything about Degu yet! lol but im learning as well.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome to PT!!

Just take things slowly and I'm sure they'll warm up to you . I've found that it takes a little while to completely earn a degu's trust but once they know you they'll bond to you very closely. I have two degus right now...neither were very social when I got them. Ichigo now loves to sleep in my hoodie and be pet while Hikaru will ride on my shoulder and play games .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

OK, so there is hope! LOL. I was very encouraged today to find them more active and warbleing while grooming each other. What do you guys give your degus for treets? I know they can't have anything w/ sugar, so whats left? The shelter said pumpkin seeds, kale, asperigus, and broccoli. What do you find that works?

P.S. I got Paco to eat half a peanut (unsalted of course) out of my hand. Slight victory!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM

mine were the same way talk to them every day and put you hand in there and let them smell and taste you a bit. in about a month or two they will be hopping in your hand and runnin up and down your shoulder
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM

welcome to pt
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hello and Degus can take time and patience to come around as they base their relationship with you on trust, keep working with them and they will soon come around

If you follow the link in my signature to my website i have a long list of degu safe treats on there, there are loads of different things you can give them, my guys have something different everyday

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thank you, your site was very very informative. Pumkin seeds only once a week? That doesn't sound like much, but I understand its probably like a big mac and chocolate shake to them. I gave them asperigous last night, they thouroughly enjoyed that.

They also had their first dust bath. I was surprised, they jumped right in! It was so cute!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Will It Ever Change?

Heya and WELCOME! I have two girls, they're about one year old now, i've had them 10 months. They're fantastic creatures! I wouldn't worry about coaxing them into a cup. Just put your arm in the cage and put a treat or two up your arm, add degus. They're a spunky critter. My girls looove dust baths too! I find the best container is a glass fishbowl. Also you can make a hammock out of an old pair of jeans (use a leg), they'l love that. They're very smart and curious. give them lots of ledges, branches, planks. also, in the wild they use twigs in their nests for heirarchy. the more twigs the better. apple tree wood is ok i believe. just cut it into manageable pieces, put it in a pot of water, boil for half an hour. i did that for my spinies and they're still kicking (and LOVE to chew on it). They love hutches on the ground floor. I use anything, tampon boxes, granola bar boxes, garbage bag boxes. I'm such a scavenger lol. toilet paper is a hit with my girls as well. Best of luck to you!!

I also find this site helpful DEGU guide

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztarwarzchic
Wow, thank you, your site was very very informative. Pumkin seeds only once a week? That doesn't sound like much, but I understand its probably like a big mac and chocolate shake to them. I gave them asperigous last night, they thouroughly enjoyed that.

They also had their first dust bath. I was surprised, they jumped right in! It was so cute!
Thanks Pumpkins seeds and sunflower seeds are fattening for degus which isn't good for them and to degus it would be like having a big mac and fries every day they would love it but it wouldn't do they any good in the long run Plus there are hundreds of other treats you can give them so i find my guys rarely ever get a sunflower or a pumpkin seed as i tend to vary what they have. I also prefer more natural treats such as the dried leaves as it replicates what they would eat in the wild and also helps to wear the teeth down.

Degus love dust baths its an instinct they have from birth as in the wild they bathe communally and its a very social affair. My guys have access to theirs 24/7 and i have found if one goes they all go

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the Forum!
I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Congratulations too, to the world of Degu ownership. Theya re incredible little creatures, and i'm sure with some time you will find them very friendly.

I have 2 boys I adopted and then there three female family members that I am fostering.
The boy were very scared when I first brought them home, but now they are the friendliest little degus ever, they love climbing on me and taking treats from my hand. We're not so great with the sholder riding (they get a bit excited) but we're working on it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM
What the shell! :)

Welcome! I have 2 degus too...and one of mine is also named Paco! awesome name..the other is named pickles. Don't hold them by their tales - that was my mistake when I got mine. I didn't know much about them and he got loose in my car and grabbed him by his tail and it fell off. It was pretty gross but it is a natural instinct they have when they feel a predator is trying to attack them-it comes off-he's had medical attention and is ok it's been a year or 2 since then. The people on this forum are very smart and i have learned a lot. just ask and we will let ya know!

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles

Tags
dust bath, dust baths, humane society, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds